Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Gaming Extraordinaire
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Source
Quote:
Extreme overclockers know about the importance of the right memory kit and the correct memory settings. Apart from CPU and GPU, the memory can have a huge impact on benchmark results. Being part of several online communities, I read a lot of stuff every day such as "just buy the cheapest memory kit, because more than 1600 MHz and 1,50 Volt won't work anyway with your CPU" which is simply not true in several ways. To help you guys find the correct memory kit, I will enlighten some myths in this post.
Interesting read, thought you guys might appreciate it
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydude025 View Post

Source
Interesting read, thought you guys might appreciate it
smile.gif
Their "busting" of Myth #2 is incorrect.

It's not a maximum voltage issue.... it's a voltage differential issue. The Uncore and IMC have to be within a certain limit. There are much better articles covering this topic.

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
They were way out of left field on myth 2, as in completely wrong. What hurt 1156 chips on ram voltage was a difference of .5 or greater volts between the ram and imc voltage. I know this because I had to RMA an i5 760.

·
New to OCN?
26,919 Posts
The IMC can allow a 10% over or less the vcore on these plataforms iirc

Max frequency of memory allowed by the IMC on Ivy bridge is 3200 and Haswell 3666

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Sounds like there's no appreciation..

It's perfect and clear especially for most overclock.net readers.

IMC Voltage and certain limitations varies with each CPU generation. He is speaking for the latest 3rd and 4th gen Intel CPUs.

When would you have a greater than 0.5V difference with a 1156 or earlier chip anyway?

For 'maximum frequency', he is talking about guaranteed results, not records. His information is correct, though I can see where some things can be misunderstood due to wording..

Cheers Merry Xmas
smile.gif

·
Premium Member
10,755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timisyourfriend View Post

IMC Voltage and certain limitations varies with each CPU generation. He is speaking for the latest 3rd and 4th gen Intel CPUs.

When would you have a greater than 0.5V difference with a 1156 or earlier chip anyway?

For 'maximum frequency', he is talking about guaranteed results, not records. His information is correct, though I can see where some things can be misunderstood due to wording..

Cheers Merry Xmas
smile.gif
That's just to say, for example, you would have to overvolt that one voltage, VTT(?), if you wanted to use higher memory voltages. It didn't run at 1.2v+ unless you put it there, so putting memory to 1.7v would have been dangerous.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Quote:

Cheers Merry Xmas
smile.gif
^^ this

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Quote:

Yea, what I meant was it would be user error / lack of knowledge or common sense, not a problem with that article.
The article is wrong on that part. Which was pointed out on the second post. As for me, I had everything on auto and coincidentally I had a chip with a really low VTT which combined with 1.65v ram caused issue

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poisoner View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolhandluke41 View Post

wake up dude ..we talking about latest 3rd and 4th gen here
Read the article.
Quote:

Quote:

Yea, what I meant was it would be user error / lack of knowledge or common sense, not a problem with that article.
The article is wrong on that part. Which was pointed out on the second post. As for me, I had everything on auto and coincidentally I had a chip with a really low VTT which combined with 1.65v ram caused issue
you can't compare two different sockets ,each socket Intel comes up with will differ in some characteristics and you can't have one overclocking rule for all ,sometimes Intel will make a change just like recently they biffed up on die vrm and all tho it's still same socket (1150) overclocking 4770k vs 4790k is different to some degree - now you can juice up cache more on Z97 then z87 for instance but the bottom line is the general rule of .500 ram and imc is very old don't apply to the latest gen. Intel CPU's ,long story short ..it's bogus (you can show me all the evidents you hard desire to prove me wrong-I will be here )
The general rules were Intel's blue print but what ends up in your hand is not the same, just like latest 2011=>2011-v3 and the pin count (please google)

Edit ; right now I' playing with DDR4 which supposed to be running 1.2v and I'm cruising @ 1.72v ,..waiting for big boom !

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Quote:

you can't compare two different sockets ,each socket Intel comes up with will differ in some characteristics and you can't have one overclocking rule for all ,sometimes Intel will make a change just like recently they biffed up on die vrm and all tho it's still same socket (1150) overclocking 4770k vs 4790k is different to some degree - now you can juice up cache more on Z97 then z87 for instance but the bottom line is the general rule of .500 ram and imc is very old don't apply to the latest gen. Intel CPU's ,long story short ..it's bogus (you can show me all the evidents you hard desire to prove me wrong-I will be here )
The general rules were Intel's blue print but what ends up in your hand is not the same, just like latest 2011=>2011-v3 and the pin count (please google)

Edit ; right now I' playing with DDR4 which supposed to be running 1.2v and I'm cruising @ 1.72v ,..waiting for big boom !
I'm not comparing different sockets here. Just stating a part of the article is wrong like was done here by a forum moderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

It's not a maximum voltage issue.... it's a voltage differential issue. The Uncore and IMC have to be within a certain limit. There are much better articles covering this topic.
So as I said, please read the article so you can see what specifically I'm talking about please.

·
Premium Member
6,088 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

I'm not comparing different sockets here. Just stating a part of the article is wrong like was done here by a forum moderator:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieHo View Post

So as I said, please read the article so you can see what specifically I'm talking about please.
enlighten me bro ..since I don't know what are you talking about ,which part I don't get it man ?????

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Quote:

enlighten me bro ..since I don't know what are you talking about ,which part I don't get it man ?????
Here is the rule of thumb to help you out a bit: Unless you know exactly what you are doing, don't overclock, underclock, adjust voltages or timings without doing a bunch of homework, then coming somewhere like this forum to ask and make sure you aren't gonna blow something up.

That's my rule of thumb anyway, too many moving parts, and way too much money invested to just start free styling that stuff.

It's like a doctor who suggests surgery, always better off getting a second opinion first. And in this case it only costs you 30 seconds of typing and waiting half a day to get dozens of professional opinions rather than the single one from the articles author.

·
Custom Loop Snob
2,622 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydude025 View Post

I don't know how hard this is to understand. The article is referring to 3rd and 4th gen Intel chips, not 1st and 2nd gen... Not much in the way of confusion unless you did not read it properly... or at all.
tongue.gif
Did you read the part of myth #2 where the 1st and 2nd generation are referenced?

1 - 20 of 106 Posts