Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay I have a Asrock fatal1ty 990fx professional motherboard.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/fatal1t...0professional/
Memory
4X 4gb http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/311

Now in the bios the memory I can choose Auto or select the XMP which is 1700.

under that it says Dram frequency DDR3- 860 Auto.
If I click on the auto I get an option 1720 amongst a heap of others including the 860 mhz. But CPUz says Dram frequency is 430mhz So any idea what to do with all these so I gte the 1700 or there abouts ?

·
OG AMD
8,950 Posts
860 would be actual would be 1720 doubled,above the stock 1600MHz rating. try the next lowest one,I assume you have the blck or FSB increased to get the uneven number.In otherwords try to keep it under 800MHz(1600 doubled) in bios.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixsetup View Post

Okay I have a Asrock fatal1ty 990fx professional motherboard.
http://www.asrock.com/mb/amd/fatal1t...0professional/
Memory
4X 4gb http://www.geil.com.tw/products/showSpec/id/311

Now in the bios the memory I can choose Auto or select the XMP which is 1700.

under that it says Dram frequency DDR3- 860 Auto.
If I click on the auto I get an option 1720 amongst a heap of others including the 860 mhz. But CPUz says Dram frequency is 430mhz So any idea what to do with all these so I gte the 1700 or there abouts ?

You need to have higher North Bridge CPU Speed than the RAM speed (3400)

or equal NB speed to RAM speed best higher than RAM speed

You can also overclock CL timing if you have a high speed RAM and your NB Cannot run at the speed
thumb.gif

To be able to utlize your RAM speed you also need to fully give it its stock 3400 RAM timings (1700 Timing)
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Quote:

I have a AMD FX 3150 3600mhz stock which it is until I install the water cooling.
When you install water chill for your ram
you need to heat up the ram heat sink and gentlly pull of the original ram heat sink

and if you heat it too much it will melt the ram chip core and kill it

and if you didn't heat the ram heat sink and used to much force

you will rip the ram chip off

meaning that you probally need to buy a new stick of ram before you can boot your computer anymore

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwamotto Tetsuz View Post

When you install water chill for your ram
you need to heat up the ram heat sink and gentlly pull of the original ram heat sink

and if you heat it too much it will melt the ram chip core and kill it

and if you didn't heat the ram heat sink and used to much force

you will rip the ram chip off

meaning that you probally need to buy a new stick of ram before you can boot your computer anymore
Think I'll just wc the cpu

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Quote:

Think I'll just wc the cpu
I reckon that is a good movie and a good choice
Since I wouldn't be chilling my RAM if I do not have a stick just for booting my computer

I would also recomend looking at videos on youtube and looking at tutorials before you start the water chill build
This can help you decide what need to buy for your loop and can also help you make a better build and give you Ideas on improving your custom loop
thumb.gif

·
OG AMD
8,950 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwamotto Tetsuz View Post

I reckon that is a good movie and a good choice
Since I wouldn't be chilling my RAM if I do not have a stick just for booting my computer

I would also recomend looking at videos on youtube and looking at tutorials before you start the water chill build
This can help you decide what need to buy for your loop and can also help you make a better build and give you Ideas on improving your custom loop
thumb.gif
Please let's not confuse him.No AMD system can run 3400MHz RAM. He is saying his CPU is at 3.6GHz..stock. His RAM is designed to run at 1600MHz stock speed.

·
2,449 Posts
The 1700Mhz XMP profile is normal, it's what the RAM was tested at. It's a weird way to advertise RAM though.

From Geil's website:
Quote:
Not your average standard DDR3 memory. The Enhance CORSA Series, tested at much higher standards of 1500MHz CL9 and 1700MHz CL9 instead of the labeled 1333MHz CL9 and 1600MHz CL9. The extra guard-bands of an impressive 10% are to provide enhanced perform
Quote:
DDR3 1600MHz CAS9 Dual Channel

- Available in 4GB(2GBx2) & 8GB(4GBx2) Dual Channel Package
- Available CAS: 9-9-9-28
- Working Voltage : 1.5V
- Heat-spreader: CORSA edition heat-sink system
with MTCD Technology in Racing Orange finish
- Technology: DBT Enhanced, Die-hard
Burn-in Technology
- Warranty: Lifetime

*1600MHz C9 tested as 1700MHz C9 (XMP Profile1)

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have been in touch with Asrock and GeIL No reply yet from GeIL but Asrock said to try running the system in boost mode which it should run at 3870Mhz and see if the DDR works then at 1700.

I'll try that tomorrow as I have some work to finish today.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts