Overclock.net banner

DDR4 3600Mhz RAM will not post with XMP

652 Views 11 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Spectre21
I'm new to the OC scene, got this pc from a friend. I've been using DDR4 at stock initially and saw some memory on sale and figured I'd grab em.

The Specs are as following:

Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor
NZXT Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.17 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
MSI Z170A SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory (The ram I bought)
MSI GAMING X GeForce GTX 1080 8 GB Video Card
Super Flower Leadex Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
NZXT S340 ATX Mid Tower Case

The 6600k is stable at 4.5ghz, running xmp profile at 3400mhz with the timings 16 - 19 - 19 - 36 that is meant for 3600mhz...Won't post at 3600, 3400 seems to be the limit. Running them in A2 and B2, Tested both individually in A2, they do run at full speed of 3600mhz however dual rank seems to be the issue. The motherboard is rated for 3600 so that shouldn't be the issue, I've read that some z170 boards don't like xmp profiles and that I have to manually overclock the ram. I've tried disabling the profile and punching in the timings, yet still 3600 wouldn't post. It probably has to do with me not knowing how to OC ram. My naive idea is since I can run 3400mhz why not 3600?

Font Material property Rectangle Screenshot Parallel
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number
Rectangle Font Parallel Number Screenshot
Rectangle Font Screenshot Parallel Number

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Rectangle
Font Material property Screenshot Parallel Number

Azure Font Rectangle Screenshot Technology
Font Display device Slope Screenshot Technology
Font Technology Screenshot
Font Laptop Electric blue Number
Automotive tire Bumper Font Audio equipment Automotive exterior
Font Parallel Number Document Monochrome
Font Technology Parallel Electric blue Number
Font Parallel Terrestrial plant Slope Symmetry
Font Technology Parallel Number Multimedia
Font Technology Parallel Slope Number
Font Technology Circle Parallel Number
Font Technology Parallel Electronic device Audio equipment

Font Screenshot Technology Electric blue Parallel
Font Screenshot Electric blue Pattern Composite material
Font Screenshot Multimedia Number Parallel
Font Screenshot Multimedia Slope Computer

Been running pc for around 48 hours, played some games, casual browsing etc

Any help is appreciated

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
698 Posts
Doesn't that thing run on tubes?

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Start with JEDEC timings and raise the frequency to 3600 then see if that posts. If it doesn't, then raise the DRAM voltage to 1.4-1.45V. You may also have to raise the system agent voltage (VCSSA).
Can't get 3600 to run even with JEDEC timings, can go up to xmp timings with 3467mhz. Seems like CR likes being set to auto entering 1 or 2 will give failed overclock. Tried ramping Dram to 1.45V, Vcore to 1.38V and VCSSA to 1.3V still no success... Perhaps I need to look at some of the other timings and settings under advanced ram? Currently running Command rate auto, 16-19-19-36 tRFC 630, tRRD 7 tRRD_L 10 tFAW 40 tCCD_L 7, Vcore 1.335 VCSSA 1.2v, IO 1.15v, DRAM 1.35v

· Official Luddite of OCN
6,200 Posts
Doesn't that thing run on tubes?
You'll find that talking down on other hardware instead of offering anything useful is very much frowned upon here.

Can't get 3600 to run even with JEDEC timings, can go up to xmp timings with 3467mhz. Seems like CR likes being set to auto entering 1 or 2 will give failed overclock. Tried ramping Dram to 1.45V, Vcore to 1.38V and VCSSA to 1.3V still no success... Perhaps I need to look at some of the other timings and settings under advanced ram? Currently running Command rate auto, 16-19-19-36 tRFC 630, tRRD 7 tRRD_L 10 tFAW 40 tCCD_L 7, Vcore 1.335 VCSSA 1.2v, IO 1.15v, DRAM 1.35v
Welcome to OC.net. Unfortunately it may just be the silicon lottery in this case. I have a i9 10900 that can't do the xmp cl16 ddr4 4000mhz but will do cl14 3733 all day. Considering how much of an improvement in IMC we are talking here when referencing first gen DDR4 (6th gen) intel's you are actually doing ok at near 3500 w/ xmp timing on kits that are designed for much newer systems.

That said, just to rule it out, bump that ddr4 up to 1.5v and see if you have any better luck at jedec. If it's no good, likely just IMC that can't take that high of a clock speed. I had DDR4 3600 with loose timings that would be ok at cl18 4000 (stock was cl18 3600) that refused to do even cl17 at 3600 with 1.5v.

However, if you are gaming you'd honestly be best off just picking up a 6700k or 7700k, that will give you far more benefit than any DDR4 out there.

· Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
You'll find that talking down on other hardware instead of offering anything useful is very much frowned upon here.

Welcome to OC.net. Unfortunately it may just be the silicon lottery in this case. I have a i9 10900 that can't do the xmp cl16 ddr4 4000mhz but will do cl14 3733 all day. Considering how much of an improvement in IMC we are talking here when referencing first gen DDR4 (6th gen) intel's you are actually doing ok at near 3500 w/ xmp timing on kits that are designed for much newer systems.

That said, just to rule it out, bump that ddr4 up to 1.5v and see if you have any better luck at jedec. If it's no good, likely just IMC that can't take that high of a clock speed. I had DDR4 3600 with loose timings that would be ok at cl18 4000 (stock was cl18 3600) that refused to do even cl17 at 3600 with 1.5v.

However, if you are gaming you'd honestly be best off just picking up a 6700k or 7700k, that will give you far more benefit than any DDR4 out there.
First and foremost I would like to thank you for the warm and friendly welcome. It can run single stick at 3600, but not 2 sticks at 3600. So I presume dual rank is too much for this old chap, understandable. I naively thought since the motherboard supports the frequency I could disregard this, a lesson to be learned. The question then becomes whether I should stick to single stick at 3600mhz or try to lower timing at 3466mhz

Or perhaps to replace some parts with a new motherboard? I don't know this machine still fares

Update: Was able to boot up dram at 1.5v but only at 3466mhz unfortunately

· Official Luddite of OCN
6,200 Posts
First and foremost I would like to thank you for the warm and friendly welcome. It can run single stick at 3600, but not 2 sticks at 3600. So I presume dual rank is too much for this old chap, understandable. I naively thought since the motherboard supports the frequency I could disregard this, a lesson to be learned. The question then becomes whether I should stick to single stick at 3600mhz or try to lower timing at 3466mhz

Or perhaps to replace some parts with a new motherboard? I don't know this machine still fares

Update: Was able to boot up dram at 1.5v but only at 3466mhz unfortunately
Dual Channel will easily outperform a single stick of even the fastest memory in single channel. My current 4000 cl16 kit is also dual rank and that is much harder on the IMC which is why I had to drop it to 3733 despite my motherboard supporting 5200mhz ddr4. Stick with 3466 and get the timings as tight as you can.

· Registered
4,350 Posts
Integrated Memory Controllers (IMCs) have improved a lot over the years, but even when the 6600 was new its DDR4 support was only officially 1866/2133MHz so I'm not surprised that it is struggling to get 3600MHz. I think 3466MHz is pretty impressive for it, to be honest, although I'm far from an expert with memory overclocking (at least for low-capacity-high-speed, I'm fairly good (lucky? :ROFLMAO: ) at getting higher capacities working stably on boards they shouldn't).

SoloCamo has the right of it; stick with 3466 dual channel and tighten timings as you can.

· Registered
784 Posts
My motherboard goes way beyond 6400, I've seen it max around 8000 I think? I have this problem on my new system as well. It won't post with the XMP setting. Manually changing the frequency seems to work and its stable. Not to sure on the voltage, I think auto sets it at 1.4v.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts