Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Didn't know if I should post in cooling or memory section.
Copper is always better at heat transfer but I prefer not to use thermal tape.

With the aluminum heatsinks I can use premium pads + I know the 3 screws will have good mounting pressure on the ICs.

Do you guys think the temp will be simliar with a fan on them ?
These will go on 4x8Gb sticks, b-die.

Product Rectangle Font Screenshot Material property

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Are you pushing for some really high OC with high voltages? If not, there is no need to change heat sinks on RAM. If just doing it for the fun of it, go for it. If looking for gains, do not expect much if anything. Especially since getting more from RAM these days is very CPU reliant and the quality of the IMC in the CPU.

BTW, the top one is for water cooling. Not sure if that is something you are planning to do.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts

With the aluminum heatsinks I can use premium pads + I know the 3 screws will have good mounting pressure on the ICs.

View attachment 2524264
Ill second what previous person said. I hit my ram with 1.5 vdimm daily and it doesnt go over 45c and thats on stock sinks. Unless you are doing this just cause there is zero point

·
Avid Something-or-Other
216 Posts
Don't forget that the act of removing your memory heatsinks has a chance of ripping off memory ICs from the PCB (a reasonably high chance if the manufacturer is using thermal epoxy). If you are OK with the risk of killing your memory sticks (let alone killing the warranty), than make sure you read up on best practices for removing those heatsinks and heat them up properly before attempting removal.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Ill second what previous person said. I hit my ram with 1.5 vdimm daily and it doesnt go over 45c and thats on stock sinks. Unless you are doing this just cause there is zero point
It matters what brand ram you have. My adata sticks had plastic heatsinks which had almost no contact

·
Iconoclast
31,443 Posts

View attachment 2524264
The top product will need some sort of pad or spacer on the back of a single sidded DIMM to get good mounting pressure. It's made to have a waterblock bolted to the top, but should work fine as an air cooled heatsink as well.

The second product looks mostly decorative...holes where they would contact heat producing elements is not conducive to thermal transfer.

Just a fan on bare DIMMs will generally produce better temps than heatsinks without direct air flow, but a good heatsink is still better than nothing, sometimes a lot better, if the heat output justifies it.

Single rank DIMMs rarely get that hot unless they are 16Gb ICs being run at high voltage in higher ambients.

·
Overclocker
4,610 Posts
Ram heatsinks haven't been a thing in 20 or so years now. There was a time where ram came with just a "covering" marketed as heatsinks. IE: no thermal pads, no actual metal to sink to, etc. But that was so shorted lived and so long ago I'm surprised they still sell them today. Before that ram came naked. So unless you have some sort of cheaply made prebuilt with naked ram it's not worth it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ram heatsinks haven't been a thing in 20 or so years now. There was a time where ram came with just a "covering" marketed as heatsinks. IE: no thermal pads, no actual metal to sink to, etc. But that was so shorted lived and so long ago I'm surprised they still sell them today. Before that ram came naked. So unless you have some sort of cheaply made prebuilt with naked ram it's not worth it.
yeah I just realized this after putting a 60mm noctua fan on them, vipper 4400cl19 4x8Gb

they are 1.52v 3800cl14 and the side of ICs are cold

wanted to run 1.6v+ cl13 but there's no point my memory controller on the 3900x stops at 62.5ns and 60.8Gbs read

1 - 9 of 9 Posts