Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
most of the time, 1T vs. 2T is a performance difference of less than 10% in synthetic benches, so in real words apps, it's hardly noticable. as for timings, they can't make up for the extra 50Mhz (100Mhz effective of course, because of DDR)of pure bandwidth. go for DDR600 for sure.

but, if you really want to, just verify it for yourself if you can. run some benchmarks at the two speeds, and see what does better.

·
Registered
2,661 Posts
I'd look at a price vs performance moreso than anything else

Which one is cheaper with the tightest timings...2T will be more stable but what you really need to look at is the CAS timing and which one can be set the lowest. Even a .5 CAS drop will increase RAM speed by a decent margin (10% increase in my system and it was clocked slower)

Read some reviews on DDR500 and 600 sets that you are looking at and see how they run on a OC system and which can get you the best timings

Most DDR 500 and 600 have a CAS of 3, and you can probably have them tighter on a non-OC'd system, but then whats the point of having crazy fast RAM

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
There is very little difference between 1T vs 2T in real world apps approx. 2-3%... see review link in sig below.

DDR500 at CAS2-2-2-5 will be outperformed by DDR600 modules CAS 2.5-4-4-7 or even CAS3-3-3-8 by shear bandwidth.

CPU Speed No1., then look at how fast the memory can go and balance that with timings. Also look at using low CPU multipliers to help speed things up.. of course the MB needs to also be able to handle this.

Testing you own rig is the ultimate proof.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
waitaminute, are you telling me motherboards can take DDR2??

look at my mobo below, tell me if it would work if i got ddr2?

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevaziah

waitaminute, are you telling me motherboards can take DDR2??

look at my mobo below, tell me if it would work if i got ddr2?

No they are not talking about DDR2. And no your board will not take it either. DDR2 for the AMD platform will not be implemented until the next socket introduction. Which is around June or July. Socket AM2.

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
Memory bandwidth is almost useless on a A64 platform. I get better performance running at 240MHz 2-3-3-6 1T than at 300Mhz 3-4-4-8 2T. Of course this is according to benchmarks (about a 3% difference). In actual applications I can't even notice. Go with what's best price/performance wise. These Patriot sticks were actually cheaper than most performance DDR500 sticks.

·
Banned
117 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lonnie5000

No they are not talking about DDR2. And no your board will not take it either. DDR2 for the AMD platform will not be implemented until the next socket introduction. Which is around June or July. Socket AM2.

AMD will be utilizing DDR3 ram not DDR2, but still not until the next socket.

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
Good to hear... keep on going up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vicoorr

Thanks for the help and information , Im running it at 3-3-3-5 2t DDR600 and im always first in any game server im in.

This is not true and for your system it will be best to look at what else can be tuned up as DDR600 will be better than DDR480 irrexpective of timings.

Run Pi32M for yourself and compare.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar

Memory bandwidth is almost useless on a A64 platform. I get better performance running at 240MHz 2-3-3-6 1T than at 300Mhz 3-4-4-8 2T. Of course this is according to benchmarks (about a 3% difference). In actual applications I can't even notice. Go with what's best price/performance wise. These Patriot sticks were actually cheaper than most performance DDR500 sticks.

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

Just read the first post. With A64 there is no need for insanely high memory bandwidth. With my current memory settings (240MHz 2-3-3-6 1T) I do SuperPI in 30s, at 320MHz 3-4-4-10 2T it takes 31s. The difference is so small I don't really care.

·
Premium Member
5,141 Posts
CPC plays a large factor in Pi, so if you are able to run 1T at the higher mem speeds you will see that it will outrun your 1T settings for the same CPU click speed

Quote:

Originally Posted by Melcar

http://www.dfi-street.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40178

Just read the first post. With A64 there is no need for insanely high memory bandwidth. With my current memory settings (240MHz 2-3-3-6 1T) I do SuperPI in 30s, at 320MHz 3-4-4-10 2T it takes 31s. The difference is so small I don't really care.

·
Premium Member
8,411 Posts
I agree that DDR600 is beter than a stick of DDR400 as far as memory is concerned, it's obvious. All I'm saying is that for a A64 platform their is no need to run the memory that high. Since the memory controller is on the CPU itself timmings take precedence over bandwidth (althought higher memory ratings are always good). CPU speed is what matters most. 1T will always outperform 2T but only by a little, and in benchmarks. A stick of DDR600 will give you more headroom when overclocking, but a decent stick of DDR500 will do just fine. It all comes down price.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts