Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is a very long story so I'll try to be concise:

I bought a delid kit for my 7600K from Rockitcool. I've tried to delid 6 times now and none of them have resulted in performance improvements, most of them resulted in extreme performance handicaps.

The first I delid, I fouled up the silicon relid job, so I had to redo it. The next 4 times I tried resulted in serious performance degredations (idles of 50, loads of 90) until I realized I was using the delid tool incorrectly.

I tried a 6th, time, making sure to do everything right: I delidded the cpu, cleaned it up, put 4 small dabs of silicone RTV around the edges, used CoolitLaboratory liquid metal, applied to both the die and underside of the IHS. Left it overnight.

Testing now, my temperatures are pretty much the same as the factory lid job.

Before delid:

Room: 21c
Idle: 45c
Load: 78c

After 6th delid:

Room: 19c
idle: 45c
Load: 80c.

I'm lost as to what the issue could be. The tim between the cooler and IHS is GC Extreme; the best. I think it's possible the H100i GTX bracket is not putting much pressure on the CPU because the threads get tight before they bottom out which leads me to believe they're uneven and not tight, so I've ordered the backplate bracket from the original H100i that works much better to test that.

Any help or advice would be appreciated. I'm totally lost as to how my temps haven't improved even 1 degree.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,746 Posts
Probably using too much RTV. Put the IHS on the CPU without any RTV, then put a dab on the edges covering the corner of the IHS and touching the PCB. Don't put a layer under the IHS.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

Probably using too much RTV. Put the IHS on the CPU without any RTV, then put a dab on the edges covering the corner of the IHS and touching the PCB. Don't put a layer under the IHS.
I tried it once with no RTV whatsoever, and had the same result: very high temps. This attempt I have in my PC right now has little enough RTV that the IHS nearly makes full contact with the waffer. It's possible you're right, but I've watched a dozen delid vids and all of them use significantly more silicone than I did. Add that to the pressure the socket itself adds to the chip and I don't imagine it could get any closer. Perhaps it's possible my IHS is thinner than average...? I certainly used less than Intel did.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,746 Posts
It's possible. They sell a completely copper IHS on eBay but I don't know of the quality of them. I'd wait on the new bracket before trying one of those though.

·
Registered
47 Posts
so, I delidded my 7700k. Also used coollaboratory pro for TIM beteen die and IHS and IHS to waterblock, and temps dropped +/-20c. I did not however replace the silicone. i wanted the tightest fit from IHS to chip as i could.

If, and how long did you clamp the IHS down after applying the silicone.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pook View Post

It's possible. They sell a completely copper IHS on eBay but I don't know of the quality of them. I'd wait on the new bracket before trying one of those though.
That's what I'll do. I really hope it's an issue with the H100i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONE 2 NV View Post

so, I delidded my 7700k. Also used coollaboratory pro for TIM beteen die and IHS and IHS to waterblock, and temps dropped +/-20c. I did not however replace the silicone. i wanted the tightest fit from IHS to chip as i could.

If, and how long did you clamp the IHS down after applying the silicone.
24hrs.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wanted to update this thread in case someone comes wandering along with the same problem as me. I hate when only 3 people on the whole internet have the exact same problem as me and google always links to some forum with no replies...or the guy comes back and goes "ok I fixed it" and doesn't say how...

Anyways, it was the bracket for the H100i GTX, not my delid. The newer bracket Corsair designed is a piece of **** and doesn't bring the CPU close enough to the IHS. I ordered the old version that came with the H100i non-GTX and it is a tighter fit. My CPU now torture tests @ 52c instead of 80c, so the delid worked!
thumb.gif

·
Facepalm
9,465 Posts
Why do people keep including worse parts on newer revisions of hardware? it's freaking comedy. Do they simply not care? Or do monkeys do the engineering? or do they want people to spend MORE money to fix problems caused by faulty engineered low quality parts?

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post

Why do people keep including worse parts on newer revisions of hardware? it's freaking comedy. Do they simply not care? Or do monkeys do the engineering? or do they want people to spend MORE money to fix problems caused by faulty engineered low quality parts?
I have no idea how anyone at Corsair thought the new bracket was good. It's plastic instead of metal, it's threading is bad and the screws don't screw down all the way, and it slips out of the socket all the time...

The old one is metal, has flush threading so screws go in all the way, and smoothy, and has adhesive on the back so it doesn't fall out if you remove the screws for maintenance. It's better in every possible way and it costs like $9...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts