Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have an msi 1080 duke 8gb oc that has suddenly stopped working. i've tried everything i can think of and tried some suggestions of others but no luck yet. my current problem is i am trying to check and possibly reflash it's vbios chip but as soon as i connect the clip onto the chip the device status of the flasher goes to "not connected" and the moment i take it off it goes back to "connected."

the card does not show up in device manager, gpu-z, nvflash or msconfig in safe mode or normal and i know all my pci slots are good because i tried a 970 and everything with that card worked perfectly. all the 1080 does is light up; no fans. i know the card may be shot but i'm really trying everything i can because it will be at least a year before i can afford a new one so if anyone has any ideas i'm more than happy to try them. i know about the oven/heat gun thing but from what i've read it can really mess up the card and is only temporary so i think i will save that until i'm completely out of options.

i also tried to look into testing various components of the card with a multimeter but i couldn't find any real guides on how to do that; maybe because most people just buy a new card.

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,880 Posts
...if you hook the tool up to the 970, does it work?

starts talking about irrelevant information at the beginning, but some useful information throughout:

·
Facepalm
8,623 Posts
i have an msi 1080 duke 8gb oc that has suddenly stopped working. i've tried everything i can think of and tried some suggestions of others but no luck yet. my current problem is i am trying to check and possibly reflash it's vbios chip but as soon as i connect the clip onto the chip the device status of the flasher goes to "not connected" and the moment i take it off it goes back to "connected."

the card does not show up in device manager, gpu-z, nvflash or msconfig in safe mode or normal and i know all my pci slots are good because i tried a 970 and everything with that card worked perfectly. all the 1080 does is light up; no fans. i know the card may be shot but i'm really trying everything i can because it will be at least a year before i can afford a new one so if anyone has any ideas i'm more than happy to try them. i know about the oven/heat gun thing but from what i've read it can really mess up the card and is only temporary so i think i will save that until i'm completely out of options.

i also tried to look into testing various components of the card with a multimeter but i couldn't find any real guides on how to do that; maybe because most people just buy a new card.
Did you use the 1.8v adapter?
the vbios chip is a 1.8v bios chip. That programmer uses 3.5v by default....

• Rep+
Reactions: holloheaded

·
Facepalm
8,623 Posts
i guess i didn't; i bought this Amazon.com: Organizer SOIC8 SOP8 Flash Chip IC Test Clips Socket Adpter Programmer BIOS + CH341A 24 25 Series EEPROM Flash BIOS USB Programmer Module (Double Clip+ USB): Home Improvement

i hope that doesn't mean i over volted it or something? i can order the 1.8v adapter and try that though.
We knew about the 1.8v adapter during the Pascal TDP modding days for laptops, when the Pascal Vbios editor came out.
My GTX 1070 (115W) is modded to 230W, but the BIOS had to be flashed with a programmer (Skypro in my case) + 1.8v adapter + Pomona 5250 clip + jumper wires.
There was only one programmer that had native 1.8v support and that was only in the "bottom" set of sockets on it.

There were people who were able to flash their Vbios with 3.3v a couple of times, but at least one person killed his bios chip that way.

• Rep+
Reactions: holloheaded

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We knew about the 1.8v adapter during the Pascal TDP modding days for laptops, when the Pascal Vbios editor came out.
My GTX 1070 (115W) is modded to 230W, but the BIOS had to be flashed with a programmer (Skypro in my case) + 1.8v adapter + Pomona 5250 clip + jumper wires.
There was only one programmer that had native 1.8v support and that was only in the "bottom" set of sockets on it.

There were people who were able to flash their Vbios with 3.3v a couple of times, but at least one person killed his bios chip that way.

well i'm hoping i didn't kill it, it never let me flash it or ever read it so hopefully it didn't send a current. i'm ordering a 1.8v adapter but ebay says it could take until february to get here haha; hopefully not.

appreciate the help; hopefully this will give me a better idea of what's going with the card.

·
Facepalm
8,623 Posts
well i'm hoping i didn't kill it, it never let me flash it or ever read it so hopefully it didn't send a current. i'm ordering a 1.8v adapter but ebay says it could take until february to get here haha; hopefully not.

appreciate the help; hopefully this will give me a better idea of what's going with the card.
Might be the crappy cheap chinese SOIC8 clip you're using :) I couldn't even get a read on my 1070 MXM with a cheap chinese clip. The clip with my old RT809F worked at least, but the Pomona 5250 clip worked even better.

I use a Pomona 5250 clip. Well well worth the purchase. You just need male to female jumper cables to hook it up to the skypro or 1.8v adapter, and you need to make sure pin 1-8 are wired correctly on the clip corresponding to the holes on the programmer or 1.8v adapter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Might be the crappy cheap chinese SOIC8 clip you're using :) I couldn't even get a read on my 1070 MXM with a cheap chinese clip. The clip with my old RT809F worked at least, but the Pomona 5250 clip worked even better.

I use a Pomona 5250 clip. Well well worth the purchase. You just need male to female jumper cables to hook it up to the skypro or 1.8v adapter, and you need to make sure pin 1-8 are wired correctly on the clip corresponding to the holes on the programmer or 1.8v adapter.
i've got ahold of a 1.8v adapter and i'm still not getting any results in ch341a programmer or asprogrammer; i think the chip may be shot but i'm not sure how that would just happen out of nowhere, when i try to read the chip in either programmer it just seems like there's nothing there. it detects the ch341a but not the chip.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

when i read in asprogrammer now i get some data but then i get a "number of bytes readed not equal to IC size." i'm using the exact IC of my chip, w25q40ew, and the size is the same as the spec sheet from winbond says it is. i'm not really sure what to do from here because that error stops me from erasing and reflashing the chip.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts