Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if Fry posts correct infos or not, because the Perpendicular Drives are suppose to be .10 not .9. Anyone want to try it out and see?

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/479...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG
  • Serial ATA (SATA/300) Interface
  • Perpendicular Recording
  • Barracuda 7200.9 Series (suppose to be 7200.10)
  • 7200 RPM
  • 16MB Buffer
  • Retail Boxed Hard Drive (Installation Kit Included)
  • 5 Year Warranty
  • PRODUCT AVAILABLE TO SHIP OCT 19, 2006
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,573 Posts
(Eyes roll back in head) Freakin sweet!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Dang it, I just bought a maxtor 300gb for 80 from them.

Whats so special about the Perpendicular Recording though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:


Originally Posted by jigglylizard

Much, much faster

And ya it's SUPPOSED to be .10


Its not "much, much faster". Ur exaggerating now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by jigglylizard

Much, much faster

And ya it's SUPPOSED to be .10


So is the listing correct and it IS perpendicular or is it not?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:


Originally Posted by BRISKbaby

So is the listing correct and it IS perpendicular or is it not?

It seems like it is perpendicular, i think they screw off by saying .9 instead of .10
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Mikey122687

It seems like it is perpendicular, i think they screw off by saying .9 instead of .10

..... I think I may not eat this month. RAID 5 has been calling me for several months now and with this DFI SLI-DR I may go do it. One more quick question.

Off topic for this thread but...
I can only run these as 1.5Gbps in RAID 5, will that hinder these drives that much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
I would, but I don't really need it and don't feel like bothering with it. BUT I just recieved my other one on monday, so i might change my mind, will have to see.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,614 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by K092084
I would, but I don't really need it and don't feel like bothering with it. BUT I just recieved my other one on monday, so i might change my mind, will have to see.
i would take it bk as maxtor seem to break fairly easily ive had a couple do it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,406 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRISKbaby
..... I think I may not eat this month. RAID 5 has been calling me for several months now and with this DFI SLI-DR I may go do it. One more quick question.

Off topic for this thread but...
I can only run these as 1.5Gbps in RAID 5, will that hinder these drives that much?
Yes it will run 1.5Gbps since no drive can use all 300MB anyway
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
252 Posts
If this is the same as its been over the last month or so for this and similar deals at Frys, some will be 7200.10's, and some will be 7200.9's. All will have a serial number and model number for a 7200.9 without perp. recording (so fry's should not say that they are), but some will have .10's in the box with different serial and model numbers than are on the box. The only problem if you get a 7200.10 with perp. recording: many of these have a serial number for oem drives even though these come in a retail box, and so they will not have the 5-year warranty unless you call Seagate and raise the issue with them. So it's a bit unpredictable as to what you'll get, and if you do get a 7200.10, you'll have to check your SN on Seagate.com.

Found this info on the net. Very helpful
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,292 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by biatchi

i would take it bk as maxtor seem to break fairly easily ive had a couple do it

I have been using 1 for a couple years now, not had a single problem with it. But might think about it, is kind of tempting.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
616 Posts
Update:
This sale is over but just FYI the drives are 7200.10. Just a quick raid 5 run says that they're faster than Chozarts. (From the table anyway.)
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top