Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About 30 minutes ago I was playing a windowed pc game and talking on ventrilo. I saw a bunch of sideways red lines go across my screen (like spraypaint from MSpaint looking) and I couldn't move anything... pc locked up. I restarted and there was red lines on boot before windows, and blocky letters. I get to the "run windows repair" or "start windows normally"

I try repair and it says there's no issues (all the while the red lines are there) so I try to open windows... then a BSOD comes up and it creates a dump and tells me to contact a tech support person.

So I try repair and it just goes right back to the screen - "run windows repair" or "start windows normally" I this time try running it normally and it reboots the PC.

When I turn on the pc right now theres red dots all around the screen (Sometimes there's none and I can get to "open windows normally" but it just reboots). In BIOS when the red dots and lines are all around I have flickering/half missing letters.

Does this sound like the death of a graphics card, or the death of a motherboard? Loading fail-safe options in the bios / optimized didn't seem to change anything. I've had the graphics card for nearly 3 years, motherboard for about 8 months.

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
I say bake it in the oven

This is the last resort for you man. Your card is artifacting.

I have been lucky enough in the past to pull the card and put it back in and have it work fine afterwards.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Graphics artifacting in the BIOS usually means the graphics card is a goner.

·
Premium Member
4,159 Posts
I'm going to put my money on bad mobo/bios. Why would a bad graphics card display the wrong codeset of a font, but display everything else perfectly?

·
/╲/( ͡° ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ͡°)/\╱\
6,197 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by hometoast View Post
I'm going to put my money on bad mobo/bios. Why would a bad graphics card display the wrong codeset of a font, but display everything else perfectly?
Ya know, I suppose I looked at that too quickly. It does seem to favor certain letters, instead of a typical artifacting gpu where it seems to show in vertical lines of artifacting

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I tried a bios update from EVGA's page.. it went successfully but the same stuff is still here. Is that the same as a flash? I tried the individual sticks of ram too just to make sure and they're all fine.

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goobers
View Post

I thought bios was displayed using onboard gfx as the gfx card drivers dont load till the os boots. given this i would have thought the (mobo/mobo gfx drivers) to be effed....not the gfx card

There's plenty of boards out there w/ no onboard gfx.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts