Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen a growing number of debating threads appearing recently in the forum.

Can we add a section just for debating threads where is explicitely states "any use of insulting remarks or rudeness will result in locking the thread and/or deleting the user account"?

If we were to incorperate the threads we would be allowing people to debate as they seem to enjoy, and maintain control of the content to keep people from creating enemies or making a bad name for the forum.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
But i suspect lots of trash talking will tend to follow....
when someone doesnt have the data to back up there oppinion usually some young'ens tend to blab some random crapola thats not true,,,,, or they will just talk some trash....
i tried to make a trash talking thread to stimulate people to get competitive at folding..... i dont know if it worked people ended up off the subject....
anyways i think a Debate forum would be a good idea...
Maybe you could moderate it

but you would have to change your name to
Master Depater

·
Registered
698 Posts
The issue I have with debate threads is eventually we will stop respecting eachother for our knowledge and start judging by what we believe. There is a place for that, but I would like to think its not here. I personally believe that we should just continue as a tech forum and try to not judge people by if they think Bush or Kerry should have won the election or whatever. I hope im being articulate here :-/

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
i think it's a good idea, in concept. the only problem is reality. althought it is an excellent idea, there are inevitably going to be trash-talkers and people who flame people for what they think. my 2 cents

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

I have seen a growing number of debating threads appearing recently in the forum.

Can we add a section just for debating threads where is explicitely states "any use of insulting remarks or rudeness will result in locking the thread and/or deleting the user account"?

If we were to incorperate the threads we would be allowing people to debate as they seem to enjoy, and maintain control of the content to keep people from creating enemies or making a bad name for the forum.

I think we should debate this.

·
Banned
313 Posts
Yeah^agreeing with Crash, but i dont think that we should make any debate forums because this is a tech sight for sharing facts ank knowledge, not for people to fight over what vid card they think is better. If someone asks a question, people should just respond whith what they think the person should do, and back up their arguments with facts. Any spurious or apocryphal comments or threads that try to attack someone on a personal level for their opinion should be delt with as they arise.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Even though this is a forum, Its a lot like being at work or school. Stick a bunch of us humans in one room, and theres going to be arguements and such. Its in our nature.

Thats why the forum has structure, rules, Mods and Admin.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crash

Even though this is a forum, Its a lot like being at work or school. Stick a bunch of us humans in one room, and theres going to be arguements and such. Its in our nature.

Thats why the forum has structure, rules, Mods and Admin.

That is why I though up this idea, we will argue, we might as well have it in a controlled environment. And as for the forum's need for this thread, I personally spend a lot of time on the forum and sometimes I look for an escape fomr reason, I would rather find the excape in the same location as the reasons than having to go somewhere else for it.

Why not let us argue respectively?

·
Registered
698 Posts
because we dont argue respectfully. Did you forget the thread about the Marine?
Its sad but true, I mean I guess I could deal with a seperate forum for it. The thing is the last tech forum I was actually involved with on a large level was MadOnion (yes before they went back to Futuremark) and it just got so overrun with Debate threads and people were just getting nasty and I dont want to see the same happen here.

·
Banned
7,110 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

That is why I though up this idea, we will argue, we might as well have it in a controlled environment. And as for the forum's need for this thread, I personally spend a lot of time on the forum and sometimes I look for an escape fomr reason, I would rather find the excape in the same location as the reasons than having to go somewhere else for it.

Why not let us argue respectively?

I think it adds to the flavor of the room. I reserve the right to get pissed off anywhere I want. LOL

Most people pull back before they step over the line.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Ya, like Crash said, It's human nature. Like in Lord Of The Flies, they all get stuck on an island, and kill each other... except were not on an island... but we've got spammers? lol

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
no debating thread lol basically if there was all it would be is amd vs intel and ati vs nvidia thats all it will be and then arguements would start and it might get ugly i don't want to see our *family* hate each other and stuff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts