Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
cd C:\TEMP\
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Enough with the distro-hopping I say!

Decided to go for solid and stick with Debian... except that I am upgrading it from Lenny to Squeeze
(how does my head work?)

·
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dang... the upgrade broke Debian... which is the perfect excuse to DL the beta of Lucid Lynx (as I don't want to wait the whole night to upgrade from Karmic again) and install the Lynx...

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I tend to shy away from Debian and its spinoffs, as I've heard [either from gonX or error10] that debian has [or had] a chance to corrupt all data on all mounted partitions.

Either way, I'd suggest you try to dive a little deeper into the Linux pool and try out Arch.

·
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death
View Post

I tend to shy away from Debian and its spinoffs, as I've heard [either from gonX or error10] that debian has [or had] a chance to corrupt all data on all mounted partitions.

Either way, I'd suggest you try to dive a little deeper into the Linux pool and try out Arch.

Actually have
Really want to run a rolling release but the last time I was having a horrendous time getting my wireless to work under arch (the authentication I use to connect isn't the straight forward one) and I was to lazy to relocate myself to a land line and struggle half a night... yes, I am lazy

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
2007-2009 of PCLinuxOS was rolling, for 2010 there's some reasons they broke that habit, but it's worth a try once it's past beta. It's a fast distro with a good software selection, balance between configurability and ease of use and it just works out of the box.
It's definitely not what Debian or Arch is, but seeing that you're downloading Ubuntu, all I have to say is PCLoS blows it out of the water.
As they say, it's a "distro-hopper stopper" for people who feel adventurous but are rather lazy.

(Aren't we all supporting what we're using?)

·
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by MadCatMk2 View Post
2007-2009 of PCLinuxOS was rolling, for 2010 there's some reasons they broke that habit, but it's worth a try once it's past beta. It's a fast distro with a good software selection, balance between configurability and ease of use and it just works out of the box.
It's definitely not what Debian or Arch is, but seeing that you're downloading Ubuntu, all I have to say is PCLoS blows it out of the water.
As they say, it's a "distro-hopper stopper" for people who feel adventurous but are rather lazy.

(Aren't we all supporting what we're using?)
True I guess... I actually used Lucid Lynx to download and burn Trisquel (only free software) and the sad part is my wifi is intel and there are no free drivers for it, thus I can't use any of the "libre" distro's which only sucks because I can't and I guess I would not have used it for long in any case... my point is there are several things about Lucid Lynx that impressed me quite a bit. And I dunno why but PCLinuxOS has just never apealed to me...

So I guess here is my own personal challenge, stick with the Lynx on this lappy until A) the lappy dies or B) support for the Lucid expires...

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluescreen_Of_Death View Post

If that was true I seriously doubt people would be using Debian - I've never said anything like that. I may have said btrfs would corrupt data - and btrfs would soon be supported in Debian, but for now it does not.

For me personally I'd like to use Debian on my server. It's probably more stable than Arch Linux, but it's just too different for me to get used to it yet.

·

29,532 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
Hey speaking of which, what happened to error10? That guy was extremely helpful.
Probably real life kicking him around. Last time he was here was a week ago.
I remember he took some time of OCN for a couple of months once though. That was before I used Linux though, so I didn't really notice his absence.

Sorry for the OT.

·
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by gonX
View Post

If that was true I seriously doubt people would be using Debian...

Thats what I was thinking...

Oh and thus far the Lynx is pretty impressive... I have not had to touch a terminal yet (which might be a bad thing for you die-hard fans
)... and I have used it for more than 24 hours without hopping

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
LOL, You don't upgrade the entire system to squeeze or testing, lol. You have to backport packages you want to Debian stable. Debian's a solid OS. I prefer it for my servers, but desktop-wise I would rather use ubuntu though, just because of increased community activity and commercial support. I'm sure you can probably find bare installs of ubuntu so you can build it from the ground up like you can with debian.

·
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB
View Post

Boo @ lucid lynx!

Your statement holds more water with some backing

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimi
View Post

LOL, You don't upgrade the entire system to squeeze or testing, lol. You have to backport packages you want to Debian stable. Debian's a solid OS. I prefer it for my servers, but desktop-wise I would rather use ubuntu though, just because of increased community activity and commercial support. I'm sure you can probably find bare installs of ubuntu so you can build it from the ground up like you can with debian.

I guess I found that out the hard way when Debian died

I would think building a bare ubuntu up from the ground would be greatly defeating the purpose of ubuntu
(even though plenty of distro's do just that)

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
I've tried the alpha3 and the new beta and I'm just not happy with the direction Ubuntu is going. More crap installed by default.

When I tried to discuss it, rationally, with other Ubuntu users, I was attacked. I was pretty much told that my opinions don't matter. I was told something like, "If you don't like it, leave". Totally crushed the community nonsense they were trying to sell.

Therefore, I will no longer be giving them any positive feedback.

·
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TFB View Post
I've tried the alpha3 and the new beta and I'm just not happy with the direction Ubuntu is going. More crap installed by default.

When I tried to discuss it, rationally, with other Ubuntu users, I was attacked. I was pretty much told that my opinions don't matter. I was told something like, "If you don't like it, leave". Totally crushed the community nonsense they were trying to sell.

Therefore, I will no longer be giving them any positive feedback.
I have actually heard a few people complain that any kind of criticism is met with hostility on the Ubuntu forum which is pretty sad.

If I may ask what "crap" are you referring too (I suspect I am too much of a noob to know what is needed and what isn't)?

·
Premium Member
16,927 Posts
as i rememeber, they are pushing a lot of social networking features, and remove the GIMP

TFB said it's not such a great idea, because not everyone wants to do the whole social networking thing, and the gimp works better than F-Spot for quick image editing.

frankly, i tend to agree with him. Ubuntu is becoming too bloated.

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenailedone View Post
I have actually heard a few people complain that any kind of criticism is met with hostility on the Ubuntu forum which is pretty sad.

If I may ask what "crap" are you referring too (I suspect I am too much of a noob to know what is needed and what isn't)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by -iceblade^ View Post
as i rememeber, they are pushing a lot of social networking features, and remove the GIMP

TFB said it's not such a great idea, because not everyone wants to do the whole social networking thing, and the gimp works better than F-Spot for quick image editing.

frankly, i tend to agree with him. Ubuntu is becoming too bloated.
Pretty much what -iceblade^ said.

I don't have a problem with the social networking thing except it has made a few changes to the top panel that I don't like. Basically, it splits your name off the power button. Social networking is done with your name, the power button deals with your log off/shutdown/restart. I don't like that.

Then with gimp, it's a lot better than F-Spot. Gimp works great for simple edits or complex more "photoshoppy" ones. They took that out and put pitivi video editor in.

I could have lived with those. It's not THAT big of a deal. Now I'm more pissed about the response I got when I offered honest criticism. It was completely tactless crap. It's not so much of a community as a few people making decisions for everyone and if you don't go with the program, you're told to leave.

·
2,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have to say that the split on the top panel actually makes sense to me... it is one of the positives in my book... as for removing GIMP I can't see how that can be seen as adding bloat, it was meant on cutting back on programs Conanical saw as not being needed by novice users... but then again to add it in the end was very simple (as you guys should know)...

But I agree, the response from the community seems very bad which sucks as the Ubuntu Community is one of the biggest reasons I decided on sticking to Lucid Lynx...

·
Banned
2,407 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by thenailedone View Post
I have to say that the split on the top panel actually makes sense to me... it is one of the positives in my book... as for removing GIMP I can't see how that can be seen as adding bloat, it was meant on cutting back on programs Conanical saw as not being needed by novice users... but then again to add it in the end was very simple (as you guys should know)...

But I agree, the response from the community seems very bad which sucks as the Ubuntu Community is one of the biggest reasons I decided on sticking to Lucid Lynx...
Yeah but Gimp is one of the more useful applications!

What percentage of the people do you think has to edit a photo at some point? I'd say at least 95% can find a use for Gimp.

Now, how many people edit videos? I couldn't give you a number but I am 100% sure it's less than those who edit photos.

Also, the split makes sense if you intend to use gwibber or any of those social apps. If you don't, even if you remove them, it permanently changes your top panel.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts