161 - 171 of 171 Posts

·
Rig Advisor
2,849 Posts
Grats on 900 million @amder

·
Rig Advisor
2,849 Posts
Woot. 1 billion with 6318 wu's, new ocn record!.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bastiaan_NL

·
I <3 narcissists
6,714 Posts
I noticed something I thought was unusual over the holiday weekend. I decided to run the cpu and gpu slots with the cpu set to 12 threads (out of 16). I got 7.1 mil (24hr) with 50 work units, I turned off the cpu slot and the next 24hr average was 8.5 mil with 31 work units. 4 threads should be enough to feed a 2080ti to it's potential, shouldn't it?

I didn't waste any more time messing with it since I am about to set up the linux machine, but it makes me wonder if I made a mistake thinking that a 6/12 processor would be enough to feed 4 cards (eventually). Maybe it will be as long as I don't do cpu folding.

·
Rig Advisor
2,849 Posts
I noticed something I thought was unusual over the holiday weekend. I decided to run the cpu and gpu slots with the cpu set to 12 threads (out of 16). I got 7.1 mil (24hr) with 50 work units, I turned off the cpu slot and the next 24hr average was 8.5 mil with 31 work units. 4 threads should be enough to feed a 2080ti to it's potential, shouldn't it?

I didn't waste any more time messing with it since I am about to set up the linux machine, but it makes me wonder if I made a mistake thinking that a 6/12 processor would be enough to feed 4 cards (eventually). Maybe it will be as long as I don't do cpu folding.
I would think it would have more to do with heat/loop saturation as opposed to cores not being available to the GPU's. The hotter the loop temp and conversely the GPU temps, the lower PPD you will put out. I checked my office this morning (Had the windows open) and the loop temp was 15c, the 2080Ti was @ 19c @90% load generating 6.4 million PPD.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,714 Posts
My 2080ti is air cooled but the cpu is on an AIO (that needs dusting fo sho). My main concern is if a 5930k is going to be enough to run [email protected] on linux with a 1080ti, 2070, 1660, and eventually my 2080ti. I didn't think I would need much from the cpu if I provided 2 threads per gpu, but that may not hold true anymore.... and I'm not sure where I read that "rule of thumb".

·
Rig Advisor
2,849 Posts
My 2080ti is air cooled but the cpu is on an AIO (that needs dusting fo sho). My main concern is if a 5930k is going to be enough to run [email protected] on linux with a 1080ti, 2070, 1660, and eventually my 2080ti. I didn't think I would need much from the cpu if I provided 2 threads per gpu, but that may not hold true anymore.... and I'm not sure where I read that "rule of thumb".
You and I are in the same boat, currently looking for a setup to run my 4x2080 Ti's for folding. It should be fine as long as you do not run the CPU for folding. I would be more concerned about the PCI-e lanes, which is why I have a post looking for a used threadripper build. I assume the hit to a Linux based system will be less that windows and even a x4 lane doesn't have THAT stiff of PPD loss. Still if we are talking 20% lost ppd between x4 and x16, I'm going to try and get that TR build.

·
I <3 narcissists
6,714 Posts
Well I think I can do 4 at x8 with the motherboard and processor I got, but I didn't really look that hard at the processors capabilities. I should have 8 lanes left for whatever sata/usb stuff Intel has set aside. I didn't notice any change in my 2080ti production when I had the 1660 installed and forced it to run at x8 instead of x16.

Motherboard PCI-E Lane Distribution:
PE1 – x16 (x8 if PE2 used)
PE2 – x8
PE3 – x16 (x8 if PE4 used)
PE4 – x8
PE5 – x4
PE6 – x8 (x4 if PE5 used)

I wanted to get a used threadripper setup as well but that will probably be what I upgrade to once I wear out this x79 setup I just got.

·
Premium Member
2,523 Posts
Discussion Starter #171
161 - 171 of 171 Posts