Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I am currently wanting to build a new rig however I have read it is a bad time right now with Sandy round the corner and prices probably dropping in a few months, so I am looking to OC my Q6600 to tide me over until then.

I currently have it at stock 2.4ghz and idling at between 52-55c, and after only 5 minutes using the warming test in CPU Stability Test it was averaging 67-69c on a couple cores, room temp about 20c, so looking for a good cooler.

Because it will only be for a few months I don't want to spend a fortune on a TRUE, and google only seems to find threads from 2007 with coolers that all seem to be discontinued at ebuyer where I usually buy all my stuff.

I was thinking the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2, however read that it doesn't do so well on quads, or an Akasa AK-966/968, but mixed reviews on them too.

I have an Asus P5Q mobo so I use the EPU-6 Engine for automatic fan speed control, so I need one that supports PWM I think it is? Basically looking for the best cooling for under £30 preferably at this site (filtered to search for 775). Don't think that site is much good for cooling though, they don't even have anything Thermalright.

System specs should hopefully be below.

Thanks for any suggestions

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Is that the only place you can order from?

Personally for that budget I'd look at a Scythe Mugen 2, it's cheap and performs with the best of them.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I also use overclockers.co.uk which seems to have a larger choice of big brands for coolers. They also have Scythe but not the Mugen unfortunately.

Thanks for suggesting the Hyper 212, seems like a decent choice for the price, reviews seem good.

EDIT: About to order a speaker system from amazon.co.uk, so I guess that would be the best place for me to get one from heh, no Scythe Mugen there, and £60+ on H50 is a bit much when I will be upgrading in a few months, but they do have the CM Hyper 212 so gonna get that as reviews are good, thanks for the suggestions.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBAndrew View Post
EDIT: .... and £60+ on H50 is a bit much when I will be upgrading in a few months, but they do have the CM Hyper 212 so gonna get that as reviews are good, thanks for the suggestions.
But the h50 comes with all the mounting brackets so when you upgrade you can just change the bracket and watercool your new CPU

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by 6speed View Post
But the h50 comes with all the mounting brackets so when you upgrade you can just change the bracket and watercool your new CPU

Thanks for letting me know, was looking at 755 and completely overlooked the 1366, so got the H50 instead just in time, can always sell it if I have to later.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey guys, just wondering if you think I should use the paste that's already on the H50, or use the AS5 3.5G that I have? AS5 is one of the best I guess, but I assume Corsair would have already put the best onto it being a decent company? Thanks

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HBAndrew View Post
Hey guys, just wondering if you think I should use the paste that's already on the H50, or use the AC5 3.5G that I have? AC5 is one of the best I guess, but I assume Corsair would have already put the best onto it being a decent company? Thanks
Put on the AS5. Stock thermal paste majority of the time is crap.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys, I managed to get it all set up ok, and the H50 has dropped the temps a lot, idle 18c and load to 30-35c, amazing. For some reason my mobo was being stupid and thought I had a new CPU, misread it as no CPU detected at first, scary heh. Time to OC this baby.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KusH
View Post

Put on the AS5. Stock thermal paste majority of the time is crap.

Incorrect. The paste that comes with the H50 is Shin-Etsu and is far better than AS5.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts