Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just recently bit the bullet and bought a ZT 7618 CPU http://www.ztsystems.com/default.aspx?tabid=1239&productid=28095. I was torn between upgrading my current rig or just outright replacing it and this seemed to be the better option.
However this machine does leave some things to be desired, such as the GPU (or lack thereof), power supply and an SSD. I'm using this as a dedicated CAD station running primarily CATIA V5 and AutoCAD 2011, some Solidworks 2011, SketchUp 8 and a few others.
I'm looking for a reasonably low priced (<$150) GPU that will be adequate for CAD. I'm doing primarily design and CAM, not so much rendering, whats most important for me is speed rather than absolute image quality. Any suggestions for a GPU, and an adequate power supply to match? Also I'm looking for an SSD to install all of my CAD software and my OS on. I figure it should be around 50GB of files.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've gotten a few suggestions for GTX 460s, 550 Ti, or 6850. Is there any particular outstanding benefit to one or the other? I like the 550Ti mostly because of the price, the money I save I can use towards a new PSU, but if its worth investing more into one of the others I will consider suggestions.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
For PROFESSIONAL {non-gaming} use, shouldn't you actually be looking at stuff like the nVidia Quadro and/or ATI/AMD FirePro type of cards ?

I'll grant you they are WAY ABOVE
your budget, but they are what the PRO's would be using for CAD and Graphics Design work, rather than our $100 to $500 "Gaming" graphics cards.

As for a SSD ... the Crucial M4 series /or the Intel 320 /or 510 (ElmCrest) series , either @ 128 GB size would be my recommendations for the BEST and most reliable SSD's on the market using the MARVELL controlers, ALL the other 'SandForce' controler based SSD's have had some serious failings and issues in the recent past, and I'd stay away from them.

·
Premium Member
1,783 Posts
For SSD I see a lot of the users rave about their Crucial M4 ssds, I think 128GB would be a good size for Windows and your design software.

I have no useful opinion about a GPU for CAD design, but I would try to shoot for a Mid-range Quadro or FirePro that LA_Kings_Fan linked as they are designed for the job.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had considered some of the Quadro cards on my previous build, however for a similar price I can get what seems to be a faster card with a GTX. I'm sure if I was able to spend $1,500 on a GPU there might be advantages, however at the $120-$180 range I'm shopping in it just didn't seem to be the right way to go...do you-or anybody for that matter-have any experinece with any of the $150ish priced pro cards?
Also most of my CAD is in medium complexity models and assemblies, rather than animation or rendering, so that would have an impact on the card I choose.
Anyone out there have an answer?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts