Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im still in the middle of my C2D upgrade but have yet to purchase the CPU.
Im leaning towards a E6400 but I have to justify it. Opinions aside, based on
factual evidence, which is a better preformer? I have a 965P DS3 and I would
like to get to 2.8-3.0GHz Prime stable. I know my RAM is a major deciding
factor, but humor me.

·
Daves not here man
1,474 Posts
I went with the E6400 just for the fact of the higher multi

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
Why is that? If you plan on OC'ing then yes take it, why pay 50 bucks for 200 more mhz, when that case could go to deadly cooling for it? Get what I'm sayin ? But there is that multi thing...

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
C'mon guys I know you can give me more than opinions. Cooling is not going
to be an issue, my Sycthe Mine keeps everything nice and cool :]. Try 25C
Idle and 29C Load on a hot Presscott.

·
Banned
931 Posts
I was reading something today about the possibility of a update to the P5B Deluxes BIOS to unlock the multiplier on all the C2D proc. The site did test on everything from the E6300 to the 6800 and the E6300 got up to a 532 X 7, which is very good for the price. I would go with the E6300, but try to look for a good week.

·
Premium Member
4,543 Posts
You need a good week/stepping to overclock past 3.2ghz on the E6300. I've seen some top out with 3.2ghz @ 1.5V on air and others going to 3.4ghz @ 1.4V on air.

Get the E6300 if you know it's a good week and if you have good ram.

Get the E6400 if you're unsure.

·
Banned
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ****erfx

Week 29 E6300 got 3.5ghz @1.4V

Nice stepping.

Proof

Yeah it's awsome!! I just need to get my $800 back from PayPal to build the rest. I hate having the processor just sitting there doing nothing.

I am planning on getting the ASUS P5B Deluxe, the Crucial RAM in my info, and I don't know about the rest.

Hopefully I will be able to buy everything this Sunday.

·
Registered
39 Posts
How do you tell the "week" of your cpu?

My E6300 is running @ 3.2 with only 533Mhz ram
It Super PI 1M's at ~ 17s

I'm even tempted to go higher when I have fiddled around a bit more.

So far I'm verry happy and half the fun was squeezing out the power on a budget.. Sure with an e6400 and 800Mhz ram i could be rocking on 3.6 Ghz, probably with ease... but i worked for that 3.2 and it tastes all the sweeter

·
Banned
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Under The Gun

How do you tell the "week" of your cpu?

My E6300 is running @ 3.2 with only 533Mhz ram
It Super PI 1M's at ~ 17s

I'm even tempted to go higher when I have fiddled around a bit more.

So far I'm verry happy and half the fun was squeezing out the power on a budget.. Sure with an e6400 and 800Mhz ram i could be rocking on 3.6 Ghz, probably with ease... but i worked for that 3.2 and it tastes all the sweeter

It also says it on the box that the processor came in. It should be the FPY/BATCH #: L6## The ## is the week of your processor.

·
Premium Member
1,960 Posts
The only difference between the E6300 and E6400 is the multiplier. Some say the higher end chips come from closer to the centre (us sp. center) of the silicone wafer and therefore are likely to o/c better, but I'm not so sure about that personally...

So, the consideration is the max stable FSB of your motherboard and the speed of you RAM. If your board and RAM max out at 400MHz (DDR2-800, QDR FSB 1600MHz) and you want a 3GHz or higher o/c, you'll need the E6400 with an 8x multi, for 8 x 400 = 3200MHz. If your motherboard and RAM can go higher, say 500MHz (DDR2-1000, QDR FSB 2000MHz) then the E6300 is the chip to choose. With lower multis, you'll usually need faster RAM and a more FSB capable motherboard. There is a trade-off. An E6400 might cost more than an E6300, but getting the E6400 might mean you can save money on the RAM and/or motherboard.

Personally, I'd go with the E6400. I'd say it offers the best balance of price / stock performance / overclocking out of the two chips and the higher multi will help in most circumstances.

Highly-Annoyed

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I still havent decided yet, money has been an issue for me the last
couple of weeks. My case fettish has caught up with me i.e. I bought
another one a couple of days ago.

·
Banned
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [wakingeden]

Well I still havent decided yet, money has been an issue for me the last
couple of weeks. My case fettish has caught up with me i.e. I bought
another one a couple of days ago.

Well if money is an issue, then it is obvious you should go with the E6300. The E6400 isn't too much more, but enough that the E6300 is a more budget friendly chip.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Personally I'd go for the E6300, paired with some good RAM it'll go great.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
E6300 is more bang for your buck. If you money to blow, the E6400 will outperform and overclock a bit higher. If you're on a budget the E6300 will be better. If you play games, get a better video card with the money you save on the processor. Otherwise some good RAM.

·
Banned
931 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jigglylizard
E6300 is more bang for your buck. If you money to blow, the E6400 will outperform and overclock a bit higher. If you're on a budget the E6300 will be better. If you play games, get a better video card with the money you save on the processor. Otherwise some good RAM.
Nothing says the E6400 will OC higher then a E6300. On the same setup, the E6300 would probably OC better then the E6400. The week and RAM are two main things when OCing comes into play with the E6300.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts