·
Registered
841 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so im really really stuck....

i have 2 systems sitting on my desk

Quote:
am2 mobo (p2n-sli deluxe) can be flashed to take am3 procs
ddr2 right now im going for an OCed value ram 2x2gb. Benching my sticks right now.
and an AMD x4 945 BE proc.
system 2

Quote:
1366 mobo (p6t deluxe)
i7 920
DDR3 ripjaws 2x3gb
by selling system 2 i gain approximately 160$ (at best 200$) compared to selling system 1. now some of you are thinking.... whoah there, you need to recrunch the numbers... well i have to buy a SAS controller and cables for my 2x 15k cheetahs, whereas the p6t deluxe has it built onboard.

what do you think? is it worth 160$ for ddr3, 2 extra gigs of ram (that i dont need) and a faster CPU?

future wise, the x4 proc can migrate into bulldozer, but ddr3 can go anywhere next gen, but theres a huge downside. It seems that everyone is going with quad channel ram. to which makes me feel that tripple channel ram was just a fling with intel.

Both systems will be OCed, the most intensive task that i will be doing in the near future is compiling code for a C class. Gaming is the day to day norm.

Let me know your reasoning, id love to hear your opinion and help me make the right decision

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
keep the i7.
bulldozer is NoT AM3 COMPATABLE.
it is AM3+ only!
but in a bulldozer AM3+ mobo, a AM3 CPU can fit in it.
but who knows, maybe AMD might release a AM3 bulldozer CPU, but it wont have some of the new features.

·
Banned
5,028 Posts
i am a AMD fanboy! do you think im a intel fanboy? i personally hated intel since pentium III! im just trying not to troll. but if you insist...

Quote:
what do you think? is it worth 160$ for ddr3, 2 extra gigs of ram (that i dont need) and a faster CPU?
dont do it. unused RAM is wasted RAM. only buy more if you do lots of extracting, decoding/encoding and photoshop AT THE SAME TIME.
just save the money and use it to buy a beast AM3+ mobo next year. you can squeeze a little more life out of the AM2 mobo.

Quote:
It seems that everyone is going with quad channel ram. to which makes me feel that triple channel ram was just a fling with intel.
see? more reasons to hate them

quad channel will probably be unnecessary and is expensive currently. but i think quad channel mobos can run 3 memory modules in tri channel...but im not 100% sure

now that i thnk about it...sell the intel rig and get the extra monies for bulldozer rig

but OC the phenom as much as possible! get a good 3.8-4Ghz OC on that and it will hold you until bulldozer.

just be happy you have a quad core. any quad except phenom I's should be good for gaming and what ever you do, even tho a i7 is better clock for clock.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts