Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm in the market for a new cpu, but there are three options at the midrange pricepoint. I'm not trying to go higher than $90 on this, and I've come to the three options below:

Phenom II X3 740 Black Edition

Athlon II X4 630

Phenom II X2 555

So you're probably wondering why the Callisto is in there. Well that's the only one that comes with a cooler. And right now, I don't have any cooler that will cool the Heka or Propus once overclocked, so I'm going to have to buy a cooler if I go with either one of those.

NOW the question: Can you guys help me decide which is the best choice?

Budget for processor AND cooler: $130

The reason I am not stepping up to a Quad Phenom is my PSU.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
almost all psu's have at least 135 watts on the 3.3v rail. you shouldnt ever not get a cpu based on power requirements. this is the actual reason netburst didnt ever clock to 10ghz. they couldnt get it that high within power requirements so they started messing with architecture instead to achieve faster cpu's

basically your psu will power any retail cpu in the world fine. i reccomend the phenom II 955BE at least. it might be a bit over $90, but $130ish for that cpu is a damn good deal imo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
Your PSU would handle a x6 just fine?

Your GFX card isn't a 480 so I see no reason for your logic on this matter.
his graphics cars has NOTHING to do with how much power his cpu draws. the gpu draws power from the 12v rail. the cpu draws power from the 3.3v rail. they are not linked at all. if he had 2 amps on his 12v rail he could still power the most powerful processor in the world if it was a retail cpu easily as long as his 3.3v rail wasnt defective.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,251 Posts
Go for the phenom II x3, shouldn't run all the hot and has a great chance of unlocking to a quad core if your motherboard supports ACC.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,822 Posts
i beg u, just spend an extra $30-$40 and get a 955

I went budget first, but i realized that it wasn't a real boost from my dual core.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,168 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by coreyL
View Post

his graphics cars has NOTHING to do with how much power his cpu draws. the gpu draws power from the 12v rail. the cpu draws power from the 3.3v rail. they are not linked at all. if he had 2 amps on his 12v rail he could still power the most powerful processor in the world if it was a retail cpu easily as long as his 3.3v rail wasnt defective.

I don't know a lot about PSU however I do know I never said his card had anything to do with the power consumption of his cpu.

I do know a high powered video card like a 480 draws a lot of watts. I don't know where the PSU creates those watts, but I'd like to think the watts are created before being split off into the separate rails.

If that's not true than ops, however my point still is exactly the same as yours. He could run any chip in his system with that PSU and not have any problems.

Sorry you had such a rough day, however next time you jump all over something someone says please be sure that what they said at least is wrong.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
I don't know a lot about PSU however I do know I never said his card had anything to do with the power consumption of his cpu.

I do know a high powered video card like a 480 draws a lot of watts. I don't know where the PSU creates those watts, but I'd like to think the watts are created before being split off into the separate rails.

If that's not true than ops, however my point still is exactly the same as yours. He could run any chip in his system with that PSU and not have any problems.

Sorry you had such a rough day, however next time you jump all over something someone says please be sure that what they said at least is wrong.
ehh, the only reason 12v rails have so much amps on them these days is cause of gpu's. hard drives and fans use nearly nothing. cpu power is all about the 3.3v rail.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,168 Posts
How are the watts distrubuted though?

If a psu is rated at say 400, and a cpu wants 120 of it, while the video card wants 260 can it do that?

Can most of the watts go anywhere they're needed?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
How are the watts distrubuted though?

If a psu is rated at say 400, and a cpu wants 120 of it, while the video card wants 260 can it do that?

Can most of the watts go anywhere they're needed?

different companies will say they wattage differently.

my hx1000 for example totals the entire rails up in wattage. my ocz stealth 700 watt psu just totals the 12v rails.

the actual wattage of the psu can very. you need to multiply each rail amperage by the voltage of that rail and multiply that by the effeciency decimal

for example, my hx1000 has 40 amps on 2 different 12v rails. thats 480 watts per rail, 960 watts total. the psu is only 80% efficient though so thats less than just votls times amps. if i factor in the efficency of the psu then its about 768 watts of real power on the 12v rails combined, 384 real watts on each rail with efficiency factored in.

just do that for each rail and you will have the real wattage. its amps times volts times the decimal of the efficiency of the psu.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,168 Posts
The 400 CX in question only has 1 12v rail, I have old PSUs that rate the 12v and 5v seperate, however I see nothing to that affect on this 400.

Edit: Probably because I never looked!

The 12v is rated for 360w, the 5v and 3.3 are rated for 130w combined.

Is the 6 pin going off the 12v or 3.3/5v line?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
216 Posts
I just picked up an Athalon II X 640, per KamuiRSX's suggestion and I am very happy with it. Overclocked to 3.6 with no trouble. The only drawback is the stock CPU cooler is horrible.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,423 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared View Post
The 400 CX in question only has 1 12v rail, I have old PSUs that rate the 12v and 5v seperate, however I see nothing to that affect on this 400.

Edit: Probably because I never looked!

The 12v is rated for 360w, the 5v and 3.3 are rated for 130w combined.

Is the 6 pin going off the 12v or 3.3/5v line?

since its a corsair, im thinking its under rated and can prolly push out over 500 watts of regular other psu brands. im not biased towards corsair, but my hx1000 is actually a cwt 1200 watt psu, same as the tough power 1200 watt of its time, corsair just named it a 1000 watt psu to get better efficiency ratings. im sure his psu could handle my i7 @ 4ghz.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,168 Posts
I read a review on it that said it didn't shut itself off until they went well over 500 Watt draw.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to get a new video card for christmas, and I've been debating with myself what my best option would be.

I was thinking I didn't have enough power for two 460's in SLI, I already have a 9800GT that I could use for physx if going SLI wasn't possible.

What are your thoughts?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Alright guys, so question: Do you think I could run a GTS 450 and one of the forementioned processors?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdRush View Post
Alright guys, so question: Do you think I could run a GTS 450 and one of the forementioned processors?
Very easily. Also, the X4 640 + GTS 450 strikes a good balance, with neither bottlenecking the other.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by BallaTheFeared
View Post

I read a review on it that said it didn't shut itself off until they went well over 500 Watt draw.

Thanks for the info, I'm going to get a new video card for christmas, and I've been debating with myself what my best option would be.

I was thinking I didn't have enough power for two 460's in SLI, I already have a 9800GT that I could use for physx if going SLI wasn't possible.

What are your thoughts?


full power draw with 460's in sli could very well max out that psu. my rig as it is now is 527 watts full load about. adding on another gpu could easily max out that psu.

i'd say a gts 450 sould be fine no problems.
 

·
OCN
Joined
·
1,540 Posts
From everything I've read so far, you can't get what you want(cpu's, gpu's etc etc) because you are unsure(or I am lol), or underpowered. Your new 1'st purchase should be a psu that can handle what you want, just saying =)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,910 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Fletcherea View Post
From everything I've read so far, you can't get what you want(cpu's, gpu's etc etc) because you are unsure, or underpowered. Your new 1'st purchase should be a psu that can handle what you want, just saying =)
holy crap dude, look at it this way. almost ANY corsair psu ever made will power ANY cpu ever made for retail fine. someone please proove me wrong on this and then we can continue.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,234 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by coreyL
View Post

almost all psu's have at least 135 watts on the 3.3v rail. you shouldnt ever not get a cpu based on power requirements. this is the actual reason netburst didnt ever clock to 10ghz. they couldnt get it that high within power requirements so they started messing with architecture instead to achieve faster cpu's

basically your psu will power any retail cpu in the world fine. i reccomend the phenom II 955BE at least. it might be a bit over $90, but $130ish for that cpu is a damn good deal imo.

his graphics cars has NOTHING to do with how much power his cpu draws. the gpu draws power from the 12v rail. the cpu draws power from the 3.3v rail. they are not linked at all. if he had 2 amps on his 12v rail he could still power the most powerful processor in the world if it was a retail cpu easily as long as his 3.3v rail wasnt defective.

so is that why that 8pin power connector with the yellow wires is labled cpu power and carries 12V??
this might just be a stab in the dark though
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top