Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my problem is this - I am just starting a new build and I have to decide on the graphics card(s). I am an Nvidia guy, so no need to suggest anything else. I also tend to go EVGA, but am willing to listen to suggestions on other brands. The build is using an Asus ROG Rampage V Extreme/U3.1 mobo, i7-5930K Haswell, 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum, and is liquid cooled. These parts are already here.

What I want is to go SLI with two 980ti hydro copper cards, but budget is a little tight so I am looking for opinions on these versus GTX 980's in SLI, GTX 970's in SLI, or even how the previous suggestions would match up against a single 980ti. Remember that all would be liquid cooled so water block expenses are a consideration as well.

Or do I drag this build out waiting for Pascel to drop the 980ti prices?

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
First thing that needs to be asked, what are you doing with the machine that needs 64GB of RAM? If this is a gaming rig 32GB is more then overkill.

That being said, 980ti is going to be the best option in SLI assuming you plan to go past 1080p. What resolution are running?

Regardless, unless you are heavy into video editing I would return the RAM and get a 16-32GB kit and use that money to help cover the 980ti and blocks. More RAM is not going to improve performance if you dont actually need it. Its just wasted money. I only bring this up because of you budget comments. No point spending money on things that offer zero gain for no reason.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This will be a multi-purpose rig. Gaming and VR are probably going to be 80% of it, while there will be some video editing done as well. I am planning on jumping into 4k at some point, but right now that is a future upgrade.

·
Registered
5,382 Posts
If it comes down to 980 vs 970, I would go with the 970s, they are close enough to the 980s, if you can afford it though, go for the ti's.
In terms of 4k, maybe worry more about that in the future, they're Durant really seem to be many games that really are made to take advantage of that resolution. Sure metal gear phantom pain looks great at 4k, and is also very playable (60 fps), but I'm sure it would still look pretty Damn good at even 1440 as well.
Witcher 3 still needs plenty of power to pull off playable frame rates at 4k, my sli 970s just won't cut it, at least last time I checked.
Again though, my vote is for either sli 970s, or 980 ti's. The 980s (non ti) just aren't worth it for the price, especially when a 970 can be easily overclocked into that region, saving you plenty of money for other things.
And don't let people try and use the 3.5gb argument, I consistently use over 3.5gb of vram on a regular basis, with no hiccups in my gaming experience.

·
4kfan
4,224 Posts
i rather have a single 980ti than two gtx980 or 970s in sli. if you are on a tight budget just get a single t i. or wait for the new cards. i know that you dont want to hear anything about amd but they have really good cards too. the fury x is a true beast.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts