Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've never done anything with SLI or ever had a second card.

But I was thinking about using one of my older GPUs as a dedicated card for physx since they're doing nothing but sitting in their boxes anyway. My current card is an MSI GTX 670 and I've have two cards laying around that I could use. As far as I know, you don't need anything big for a dedicated physx card but I haven't a clue what's best or whatever.

So, I have a 560Ti (MSI Twin Frozr) and then a much older PNY GTS 450 (this one)

I'm guessing the 560Ti is bit overkill but not sure about the 450. Also, I've a 750 Watt PSU if that means anything.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by GerBem View Post

Edit: You can also use the GTS 450, I don't really know how much 'power' a PhysX processor needs. Try it out
smile.gif
That's what I mostly want to know. If the 450 is enough, that'd be great since less power used. Anything in particular to test this outside of normal benchmarks?

·
STG3 VET
13,127 Posts
No reason to do it really. Just use the 670 but it is up to you. I would just sell the cards and have some extra cash or just keep them for a back up.
Your physx card score will be lower if you use a lower end card.

·
Premium Member
5,506 Posts
I would use the 560, as PhysX performance seems to be linked to the number of CUDA cores relative to the primary card/s.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I was considering picking up a 660TI for a dedicated physx card but came to the realization that there aren't any games out there that really use it? Can someone name a few that actually do use it!?

·
Premium Member
11,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyCorky View Post

I was considering picking up a 660TI for a dedicated physx card but came to the realization that there aren't any games out there that really use it? Can someone name a few that actually do use it!?
The only game that I truly feel Physx is actually used in a manner that actually adds to the game is Borderlands 2. Even then if you are playing the game with PhysX set to low running on the CPU you aren't missing anything huge...but you are missing something that is pretty nice. Every other GPU enabled PhysX game I've seen isn't anything special and you likely wouldn't even notice if you accidentally disabled PhysX half way through the game. As far as I am concerned, Borderlands 2 is the only PhysX game that exists.

·
Rabies is my business
4,391 Posts
Hawken has some excellent Physx effects second only to that seen in BL2, IMO.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts