Overclock.net banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
You don't have enough free space. Defrag requires space to be able to move the files about.Try deleting some stuff or moving it to another drive(if you have one).Also try running it numerous times. It should do a little more ea time.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
15% is bare mininum for defragging. Most of the files that are showing as not defragged are pretty big files and will require more room to be moved. Compressing some files will give you more space. take a few large folders and move them th the D drive and try it again.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I'm copying over some files right now. While we're all here and waiting though, I thought I'd ask another question about my Windows Pro partition.

From the screenshot above, it's obvious that on my second partition I have Windows Professional installed. I've never really used it; I just installed it on the partition since my step-dad owns it. I'm trying to learn as much about computers (operating systems mostly right now) as I can, hence being on this site. When I tried to connect to the net on Windows Pro though, I couldn't connect at all. I tried using the network wizard but it wouldn't find a connection. Am I going to have to get the router to recognize my Windows? I'd think not since it already recognizes this computer in the first place...

·
Premium Member
10,440 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaGradeEh

Ok, I'm copying over some files right now. While we're all here and waiting though, I thought I'd ask another question about my Windows Pro partition.

From the screenshot above, it's obvious that on my second partition I have Windows Professional installed. I've never really used it; I just installed it on the partition since my step-dad owns it. I'm trying to learn as much about computers (operating systems mostly right now) as I can, hence being on this site. When I tried to connect to the net on Windows Pro though, I couldn't connect at all. I tried using the network wizard but it wouldn't find a connection. Am I going to have to get the router to recognize my Windows? I'd think not since it already recognizes this computer in the first place...

Is the windows firewall turned off?
If so go into the network connections and goto advanced in the properties and turn it off

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Nevermind, I got it fixed. It was a driver problem for some reason. I thought I'd checked the drivers... meh, oh well. Don't know why... meh.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, here's the latest report. I moved a bunch of file to the other partition, and as you can see there is plenty of free space on the C: drive now.

Why will it not still defrag? I think it might have something to do with it's history. Before I used this hard drive it was my brother's, and he went through a lot of trouble due to inexperience trying to copy his old files over from this hard drive to his new one before giving this hard drive to me. I have NOT formatted this hard drive. I took it as it was, deleted his files, then put mine on without formatting/re-installing Windows because of the activation key. I notice when I go to 'Add/Remove Programs' that there is a lot of software that can not be removed as well. I hope this helps. I'll answer any questions, of course, if you can help me. help you.

·
Premium Member
3,899 Posts
Wow. No offense, but when I saw the pic in the first post... I thought this was one of those off-topic threads.

Glad it worked out for ye!

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why would I be offended? lolzapalooza

While we're still checking this topic, I might as well put it to use and not make another thread to spam the forum:

What can you recommend for partitions? I was thinking that for Windows and all the drivers and crap I could have one partition, and for all my personal files like music and documents and pics and crap I could have another partition.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by CanadaGradeEh

What can you recommend for partitions? I was thinking that for Windows and all the drivers and crap I could have one partition, and for all my personal files like music and documents and pics and crap I could have another partition.

Norton Partition Magic is good.
Paragon Partition Manager is also good.

·
Administrator
64,455 Posts
Yes The defragging program needs psace to shift the files about ..I would reccomend Compressing your harddrive to save some space..Go into ''My computer'' then On your main HDD right click and then go to ''properties'' Then when that window comes up there sould be a little tick box at the bottom called ''Compress Harddrive to save space'' or something like that..Put a tick in the box then apply aia t will then start to compress your hdd..During the process you may get a message coming up saying that some files may not be able to be compressed or are in use..Within the window that pops up with an error just click the button ''Ignore all''....I also have to say that the Windows defragging program is a very poor program indeed and deosnt do the job properly at all.. So i would reccomend a prgram called '' Diskkeeper'' Which can be found here and you can try the trial version and may buy it at a later date. http://www.diskeeper.com/landing/lan...PID=PPS0001292

1 - 16 of 16 Posts