Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this okay? Or should I not do it? I'm talking about right clicking on a game and clicking 'defragment cache files' under properties.

·
Premium Member
8,034 Posts
don't think it could hurt

·
Premium Member
5,750 Posts
It will help, not hurt. I wouldn't bother unless you're getting stuttering or noticeably long load times though. Just let them defrag when you do a normal full-disc defrag.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaldari;11917648
It will help, not hurt. I wouldn't bother unless you're getting stuttering or noticeably long load times though. Just let them defrag when you do a normal full-disc defrag.
But that's the thing your not supposed to defrag an SSD. I thought this might have been different though.

·
Premium Member
3,111 Posts
defragmentation on a SSD is pointless generally.

if you somehow got your filesystem to have 50000 peices per file it would be worth doing a "quick defrag" just to reduce the pieces a little, but by the time it got that bad would be a really really old install that was like 5 yrs old and had a full drive for years... so at that stage you could just reinstall anyway

·
Registered
151 Posts
Defragmentation involves rearranging the location of the files on your mechanical hard drive. Because you don't have any moving parts on a SSD, the access times are the same across the SSD, defragmenting a solid state drive is useless. It may hurt too, because of the extraneous read/writes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts