Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
one of my XFXgeforce 8800 GTS on sli been running really hot just lately and is causing system hang ups while playing high demand games, so i just switch to single gpu for a while whipped it out pulled it apart and **** me the amount of grey gunk in there is unbelievable,
ive picked out enough gunk from around the pcb heatsink collar and thick across the heat exhanger to build morph!!!! im shocked is this normal???
i though that the same principles apply as it does to pc's just enough thinnly spread and of high grade silver compound or ceramic... this is right yes?

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Yeah the same method I use on CPU is what I used on my 9800GT and it dropped my temps 5-7c idle and 10-12c on load.

·
Iconoclast
32,311 Posts
They do apply a lot, but since neither the IHS, nor the heatsink base are very flat, it's not really that excessive.

Replacing the thermal paste will only net you very minor gains, in and of itself.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mtbmike777
View Post

one of my XFXgeforce 8800 GTS on sli been running really hot just lately and is causing system hang ups while playing high demand games, so i just switch to single gpu for a while whipped it out pulled it apart and **** me the amount of grey gunk in there is unbelievable,
ive picked out enough gunk from around the pcb heatsink collar and thick across the heat exhanger to build morph!!!! im shocked is this normal???
i though that the same principles apply as it does to pc's just enough thinnly spread and of high grade silver compound or ceramic... this is right yes?

The Morph bit of your post made me laugh

·
Initializing...
23,798 Posts
AS5 should do fine. I put some on my previous 8800GT and it ran cooler.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I would advise not to use Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU because there are transistors on the GPU that are very hard to dodge and you will get some on them, so I would get MX-2 because it is just as good and non-conductive.

·
Iconoclast
32,311 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless
View Post

They do apply a lot, but since neither the IHS, nor the heatsink base are very flat, it's not really that excessive.

Replacing the thermal paste will only net you very minor gains, in and of itself.

Oops, looks like I was thinking of the older 8800GTS.

Since your's doesn't have an IHS, you can disregard my original post.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModoeXtreme
View Post

I would advise not to use Arctic Silver 5 on the GPU because there are transistors on the GPU that are very hard to dodge and you will get some on them, so I would get MX-2 because it is just as good and non-conductive.

It's not that hard to avoid the surface mount capacitors around the G92 core, unless you are complete butterfingers.

Just be careful, or get some tape or conformal coating to mask them.

·
Data Recovery Engineer
20,228 Posts
I use IC7 or MX-2

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.