Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone
I recently decided to delete my Ubuntu partition as I was running out of room on my harddrive and I rarely used it. So, I booted up my live CD and deleted the linux partition and added the space to my windows partition. Apparently this wasn't the best thing to do, because now when I try to boot I get the error:

GRUB Loading Stage 1.5

GRUB Loading, Please wait...
ERROR 22

I used the Windows 7 CD, went under repair windows and ran the Repair Startup application. However, after running for a half hour and telling me to restart, I still get the same error. I tried to run the startup repair again, but this time no errors are found. A google search has left me with suggestions for if I was dual booting with windows xp, but nothing with windows 7. Anyway, any help would be appreciated, and thanks in advance. If it makes a difference I was dual booting Ubuntu 9.04 and Windows 7 RC build 7100.

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
I think your issue is this:
The W7 boot loader is fine - BUT
There is a GRUB boot loader before it - like the GRUB boot loader passes onto the W7 one if the Windows option is selected.
May need to re-install the GRUB boot loader

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by scottath
View Post

I think your issue is this:
The W7 boot loader is fine - BUT
There is a GRUB boot loader before it - like the GRUB boot loader passes onto the W7 one if the Windows option is selected.
May need to re-install the GRUB boot loader

Hmm, how would I do this since I can't get into windows? I'm currently running off the Ubuntu live CD. Also, would there be any way to delete/uninstall the grub bootloader instead, as I won't be using it.

·
Premium Member
7,143 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluelightning
View Post

Hmm, how would I do this since I can't get into windows? I'm currently running off the Ubuntu live CD. Also, would there be any way to delete/uninstall the grub bootloader instead, as I won't be using it.

I think you messed with the master boot record. My advice, install GRUB again, so you can get into Windows, and then use MBRFix
I did the same exact thing awhile ago, forgot what commands I used though.

·
Premium Member
7,331 Posts
i think you can use MBRFIX from the command promt if you boot the W7 disk (its one of the repair options)

·
System *****
2,527 Posts
fixmbr is the command. you dont need a tool or download, its a built in ms-dos command.

create a usb ms startup or pop in a floppy

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did do it in the command prompt before I made this post, forgot to mention that. But it didn't work, I'm going to try it again though, I tried several commands and remember seeing that one, but I may have not actually typed it.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmm, well I reinstalled Ubuntu on a 5gb partition I made, and I can boot into windows again. However now I need to delete my ubuntu partition. So, looks like inferno already answered on how to do that correctly this time.
Thanks for the help, hopefully it goes better this time.

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Hate to repeat what everyone else said, but I agree. Either reinstall Grub, or use the fixmbr command. Grub can't find your grub.conf so it has no idea what to do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hmm, well it looks like the link inferno gave just gave me what I already knew, but I just deleted the ubuntu partitions from within windows. Hopefully fixmbr works this time.

·
BGP is my favorite
1,068 Posts
Ah, Glad I could help. I hate when things like that happen, because In the back of my head I fear the worst. I will have to format and reinstall everything.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hmm, ok. I tried what inferno showed me, and got the same results. The fixmbr command isn't recognized by Dos for some reason, maybe it was changed for windows 7?

·
BGP is my favorite
1,068 Posts
I looked on a couple sites and they show it like /FixMbr
Maybe it is case-sensitive

I also found this on Wikipedia

Quote:

Though it is possible to directly manipulate the bytes in the MBR sector using various Disk Editors, there are tools to write fixed sets of functioning code to the MBR . Since MS-DOS 5.0, the DOS-mode program FDISK has included the (undocumented, but widely used) switch /mbr, which will rewrite the MBR code. Under Windows 2000 or later, the Recovery Console can be used to write new MBR code to a hard disk using its fixmbr command. Under Windows Vista and Windows 7, the Recovery Environment can be used to write new MBR code to a hard disk by clicking on Command Prompt and typing bootrec /FixMbr.

so maybe try bootrec /FixMbr

Also found a ehow:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4836283_repair-mbr-windows.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts