Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
687 Posts
Sorry but I don't understand what equipment are you using ?
And why are you bothered with ripple ? Did you measure it ?

however
what I have seen on commercial product are 2000uF 16V electrolytic caps only on PCI-e +12V lines
but if you feel it
you can use polymer, higher capacity, lower capacity and multiple caps, also on +5 and +3.3 lines

caps for ripple suppression must be connected in parallel
+ with +
- with -

·
Registered
687 Posts
1-what's your unit ?
2- I think that you can not blame the psu for the poor OC but, perhaps, it's a limit of your hardware
3-polymer are usually better BUT everything depends on the quality of the cap's model

·
Registered
820 Posts
My 2c:
Quote:
Originally Posted by superrobowizard View Post

-What size capacitors should I use?
-What voltage should they be rated?
-Should I use polymer or electrolytic?
ATX connector
+12V: Low ESR poly of 220~560uF, or low ESR lytic of 220~560uF. 16V rating minimum.
+5V: Low ESR poly of 220~560uF, or low ESR lytic of 220~560uF. 10V rating minimum (some makers use 6.3V polys here).
+3.3V: Low ESR poly of 220~560uF, or low ESR lytic of 220~560uF. 5V rating minimum.

EPS12V or ATX12V or "P4" connector: Low ESR poly of 220~560uF, 16V. Or low ESR lytic of from 220uF to anything within reason, say 3300uF (the larger the lytic cap, the lower the ESR. The lower the ESR, the better for this application).

PCIe connector feeding a power-hungry GPU: I'd solder one low ESR lytic of 2200~3300uF 16V. Or even two of them in parallel (for even lower ESR, and larger capacitance to deal with today's GPUs wildly varying power peaks).

Quote:

-How should they be installed? bridging the negative and positive?
For +12V rail, cap's positive on yellow +12V wire, cap's negative on black ground wire. For +5V rail, cap's positive on red +5V wire, cap's negative on black ground. & so on.

The closer to the connector you're able to solder the caps, the better (lower ESR).

Some examples of DIY cable caps by here your servant:

Quote:

Yes I know I'm crazy, you don't need to tell me that.
You aren't and I will not.

·
Registered
687 Posts
1-the review is of the 500W unit, your 400W can be different
2-carefully read the review, Jonny says:
Quote:
an array of mostly polymer capacitors. Take note, you folks who think polymers are the answer to all ripple problems... we still got 90mV on 12V2 with these. It ain't all about the caps, people
so, I still think that adding caps won't solve your problem
3-in this "so tight system" 50W can be a huge difference also RX480 is not a low-level card...
4-rated = supported, if the cap is rated above 16V it will be only safer

·
Registered
820 Posts
Quote:

... How about one of these then?
Chemicon LXV should cut it. But notice how the 16V 3300uF Panny FM is half the ESR of the 16V 3300uF Chemicon LXV (0.012 vs 0.024 Ω). The lower the ESR, the better.

Looking at your GA-Z97N-WiFi mobo:

^ It has only 3x 16V 270uF caps on VRM-high, a measly 810uF total capacitance there. There is a fair chance that soldering one 3300uF low ESR lytic cap right close to the "P4" connector would add some stability to the processor.

That mobo is clearly not designed for heavy overclocking, however.

·
Registered
820 Posts
^ Nice find, I thought the legendary Rubycon MCZ had been discontinued long ago.

If you solder two of those in parallel, combined capacitance will be doubled (to 3600uF) and combined ESR will be halved (to just 4.5 mΩ
thumb.gif
).

·
Registered
687 Posts
exactly because the pins are short and even (and also bend)
electrolytic caps come with long and uneven pin (negative the longer)(if I remember correctly)
also
they should be out of production

TELVM seems an expert, I would wait for his opinion

1 - 20 of 33 Posts