Overclock.net banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
Whoa I'm far from being an expert but I agree with chimico9, those short, equal length legs look weird.

Usually they come with longer, unequal length legs (the shorter one indicating ground):

·
Registered
820 Posts
Some caps from that 'The Capacitor Store' definitely look scavenged, like this one.

Do you happen to have any gadget at hand to check capacitance and ESR? Something like this:

If not you can do a summary check with just a simple multimeter. Set the MM to read resistance in the 10K~1M range, then touch the red probe to the positive lead and the black probe to the ground lead of the cap.

If resistance increases progressively to near infinity, the cap is not totalled (as far as an MM can tell).

If the reading is very low or zero, it's shorted and KIA.

If the reading is instantly infinite, it's open and KIA.

If it helps for peace of mind, I have some ~15 year old Rubys MBZ here around that still check healthy.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Sounds like at least the cap is not completely dead. But without proper testing tools, actual capacitance and ESR of a capacitor under suspicion are anyone's guess.

Just in case test first the modified PSU out of comp by jump starting it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimico9 View Post

... Is all this efforts worth ?
Mileage will vary.

On a quality PSU powering quality mobo & GPU, little if any improvement will be noticed.

On a not so good or long in the tooth PSU, with mediocre/bad ripple suppression and/or smallish/cheap/tired internal caps, powering a not so good mobo with little VRM-high capacitance, and/or a power-hungry GPU with wild transient peaks, cable caps may make a difference.

They may also be of help on peripheral rails, for instance when there is a troop of HDDs taking juice from the same wire.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by superrobowizard View Post

... I've also had some difficulty overclocking my RX 480 past 1.5GHz ...
Pushing an RX 480 to 1.5GHz ain't a small feat, many wouldn't even make 1.4 .

21 - 33 of 33 Posts