Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I just delidded my 4670k about an hour ago. I still haven't figured out how to take off some of the glue residue from the PCB and IHS but did the best I could with my nails. Was in a hurry so I applied a bit too much PK-3 on both chip-IHS and IHS-cooler.

This is after delidding a friend's 3770k and my chip early this evening using the hammer and vice method:

Applying CLU:

I recommend using a bit more than what I had in this picture. When you use barely enough, it looks more smooth instead of having so many "suds". Using a bit more prevents having a bare die when your IHS gets shifted while clamping on the mobo or if you have unsteady fingers. I think CLU is thin enough that even if there is too much, it will get squeeze out once clamped on preventing an overly thick layer, inhibiting heat transfer.

Parameters:
Speedstep disabled on manual Vcore
1.225V (1.236V on CPU-Z) @ 4.3ghz
Noctua NH-D14 with 2x NF-A15 fans on open test bench
Running Prime95 for 1 hour
Room temp ~25C

Pre-delid

Idle temp: ~40C
Avg load temp: ~70C
Peak temps: 83C

Post Delid (PK-3)

Idle temp: ~35C
Avg load temp: ~55-60C
Peak temp: 72C

Post Delid (CLU)

Idle temp: ~33C
Avg load temp: ~48-53C
Peak temp: 66C

17C drop is pretty much what I was hoping for!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Great to see a 10-15c improvement, but the big question is does it allow you to run higher clocks? Can you get this chip to 4.8 without melting through the socket?

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apolladan View Post

i just don't see how any sane person can risk several hundred dollars for a few C
And if people like him or her didn't with whatever hardware we would have no other routes to take. Think what the overclock might be now 5ghz plus?
thumb.gif

·
Registered
4,920 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Hi everyone,

I just delidded my 4670k about an hour ago. I still haven't figured out how to take off some of the glue residue from the PCB and IHS but did the best I could with my nails. Was in a hurry so I applied a bit too much PK-3 on both chip-IHS and IHS-cooler.

This is after delidding a friend's 3770k and my chip early this evening using the hammer and vice method:

Parameters:
Room temp ~25C

Pre-delid

Post Delid

Avg load temp: ~55C

My Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra should come in tomorrow so I'll update this thread. Also with some pics!
nice to see a 1st and brave one at that
thumb.gif

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
15c is a nice difference. Will be interested in seeing what it looks like after CLU is in there and how much it lets you get the clock speeds up on air. Also was watching a newegg vid with an asus rep talking about how prime95 is less valid of a stress test with haswell. I don't fully understand why that is, but could be that we need a different criteria for a successful overclock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhgourami View Post

Hi everyone,

Parameters:
Room temp ~25C

Pre-delid

Post Delid

Avg load temp: ~55C

My Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra should come in tomorrow so I'll update this thread. Also with some pics!

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Updated OP a bit. Load temps tend to jump around a lot. Really hard to put an approx fixed value. I think it's the high amount of paste I put.

Anyone know how to completely clean the glue off?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LagunaX View Post

4.8ghz run please
thumb.gif
Yeah, that won't work unless I put 1.4V+ Before delid, I couldn't get a stable 4.5ghz without at least 1.325V.

But I do need to play with the uncore and VRIN more. I'm still testing to see what I can do. I'll run prime95 and see if I can do a 4.4ghz tonight.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Quote:

i just don't see how any sane person can risk several hundred dollars for a few C
It is not that hard and 11 C makes a massive difference, you can OC more, have your room cooler and extend the CPU lifetime. Worth it IMO

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
You clean the glue off either with a dremel + felt polish wheel + lots of alcohol, or the manual method with a credit card and a lot of time.

·
Registered
2,417 Posts
If you go the CLU route, make sure you isolate those resistors. Dump non conductive TIM on them or use some sort of rubber gasket to cover them up for safety reasons...

·
TotallydubbedHD on YT
11,564 Posts
Quote:

Just an FYI: people pay over £300 on WC kits, in order to gain 10-20c.
Here's the same principle, apart from the fact that you aren't even needing to WC, and if you do, you gain even better temps.

Why better temps?
Higher OC's and/or lower fan noise (as they won't have to run at the same RPM)

Simples.

·
Registered
266 Posts
About time someone delidded - nice
smile.gif

I just used my nails to slowly scratch the glue off...

1 - 20 of 104 Posts