Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a delidded 7820x and it was running cool for the first few months. I’ve done a few remounts, adjusted thermal paste, and the temperatures are across the board 15-18 degrees hotter than before from when it was first delidded. I purchased the delid service. I have delidded other processors on my own at felt socket 2066 was not worth the risk due to 2 PCB's on the processor.

Should I try delidding it myself even if superglue was used?

The silicon paste that I've used when delidding in the past on different processors was very simple to remove with a knife. Any other suggestions? Using a 360mm AIO and the PC has just been dusted again.

7820x 1.255 volts @ 4.8ghz (100x48)

·
Registered
348 Posts
My guess is the LM TIM is dried up. i have 7980xe that has dried the LM in a matter of a few weeks. my 7820x on the other hand has been fine for a few months now. After the LM dried up on the 7980xe it was a bit hard to remove the LM so next i use AC5 (arctic sliver 5) And now this also seems to be losing its thermal conductivity and is likely dried up as well.

If it was super glued then i don't know what they were doing, no reason to use super glue when gasket maker is what works, and is easy to remove. depending how much glue was used it could be easy or it could be hard and have a good chance in destroy the pcb. I say could, i have never used super glue for this.

If you paid for a service perhaps they can redo the service for free? I am using my 7980xe naked die to water block, the 7820x is covered by the IHS. Not sealed and using LM TIM.

I am not sure if you should attempt to do this delid without the proper tool. i spent 100$ for the tool to make sure i did not destroy my 2000$ cpu for a reason :D Again depending how much glue was used i simply can not say.

For my specific case i think it is very possible the waterblock is touching the retention bracket and causing the cpu die to not have heavy contact. So for your case it could be possible the IHS was put on with glue without proper pressure ie put into the motherboard to hold the IHS tight onto the cpu die while the glue dried. Causing the LM to dry up early. This is ofc only speculation but would be my best guess. I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Be careful with super glue. If you use a delid tool to open it up, you can rip the PCB apart since there is a very high change that the top layer of the PCB sticks to the IHS.
It would be safer to dissolve the super glue with acetone.

But I'd first try to contact the guys that delidded your CPU. Ask them to fix it and maybe not to relid it in the future so you can reapply the liquid metal once a year or when needed.

·
Banned
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Bad news... The delid kit I ordered did absolutely nothing. It did not work- the plastic on the delid kit kept churning and as I used the allen key to tighten the tool, the thick metal allen screw pushing on the IHS would keep clicking, not popping off the IHS on my 7820x.

(Rockit 99 delid)

I have used different AIO's and the temps have been the same. There was no Superglue on it.

I don't feel like I should have to use a razor to remove it, especially since I don't trust the dual PCB design and thin PCB now, and spent $40 on the kit... Maybe the kit doesn't go far enough and it stops it from fully deseating the IHS? Meaning, the metal screw being pushed against the metal thing (the rectangular metal piece of the delid kit, not the IHS) inside to delid the IHS from the processor isn't deep enough or doesn't go far enough, that's what I believe.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Bad news... The delid kit I ordered did absolutely nothing. It did not work- the plastic on the delid kit kept churning and as I used the allen key to tighten the tool, the thick metal allen screw pushing on the IHS would keep clicking, not popping off the IHS on my 7820x.

(Rockit 99 delid)

I have used different AIO's and the temps have been the same. There was no Superglue on it.

I don't feel like I should have to use a razor to remove it, especially since I don't trust the dual PCB design and thin PCB now, and spent $40 on the kit... Maybe the kit doesn't go far enough and it stops it from fully deseating the IHS? Meaning, the metal screw being pushed against the metal thing (the rectangular metal piece of the delid kit, not the IHS) inside to delid the IHS from the processor isn't deep enough or doesn't go far enough, that's what I believe.

Any ideas?
How is the IHS reglued to the PCB? Are you sure it's not superglue?
If silicone was used, it should break kinda easily.

You probably stripped the threads in the plastic by applying too much for on the screw. This shouldn't happen if silicon was used.

I'd contact the guys that did the delid for you before you ruin your CPU.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts