Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys!

I have been reading this forum a lot lately. But today i think i messed up really hard.

Yesterday i attempted to delid 2 x5670 for my mac pro 4.1, yes it use delidded processors so it´s a must.

I thought it went well, with a few scratches but well enought, until i have just found that i desoldered one of the resistors or condenser on the top and i can´t find it

I will really appreciate some help, to find the value of the component, i have soldered SMD components before, but i don´t really know how to guest the value and the tipe of this semiconductor.

And i don´t want to spend another 200 euros on other x5670.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There isn´t any hope really?

he scratches seems not deeper, in the photo seems a lot worse that what they are, just one is touching a big pcb track.
I just need to know the value of the condenser or resistor

·
Not New to Overclock.net
3,913 Posts
I don't mean to come off rude, but your CPU is quite dead. And you won't be able to solder the replacement back in unless you can get access to a lab, and that will most likely set you back nearly as much as a new chip.

Delidding should not be done by just anyone, and you have to face the risks.
This PCB has many layers and by nicking them in such a way is very likely to cause traces to touch, which may damage your other components, too.

Bottom line: you've literally wrecked the CPU. It looks like you delidded it with glasspaper, facing down...

Edit: For the love of God, you can see bare copper there. What did you even think you were doing?!
kookoo.gif

Please, do not get near another CPU with a razorblade in your hands. Not even a vice.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
You've probably broken a lot of traces with all those scratches. I've seen people come out with dead chips with 99% less scratches than that. The missing component is the least of your concerns.

This is why the vice method is superior.

Move on, you've learned your lesson, buy a new chip.

·
pass the lortabs
5,004 Posts
Terrible lesson to learn.

Rest in pepperonis, lil 5670.

·
Overclocking is my game.
1,924 Posts
Did you even try it? A broken resistor isn't a big deal normally and the scratch looks pretty deep but it may still work.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
I would literally eat my shoes if that CPU still works.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts