Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the driver was offloading a cardboard box (60 cm tall) with high-end cpu, gpu, psu, water cooler, ram, motherboard, ssd, sound card and gaming mouse, he toppled it over, so the box slammed into the floor of the delivery van. There was no visible damage to the cardboard box, but can this kind of treatment damage the fragile items inside, like skewing the fans of the gpu for example? Here's some of the gear:

i9 10900K
2080 RTX Super
ROG Maximus XII Formula
Corsair 1000 w psu
H115i Pro water cooler
64 gb RAM
Samsung 860 Pro

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,226 Posts
we need to know the air temperature, relative and absolute humidity, wind speed + direction in order to answer

how would we know? test and then worry, lol.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
Damage the CPU? Definitely not. Why would you even ask this? Just try it. If it doesnt work send it back.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I asked because I can simply return the unopened cardboard box to the computer shop and get new items, but it will cost me $300 to hire another delivery service to transport the new items to where I live. If pc equipment is generally built to withstand rough treatment during transport, I'm considering whether it's best to check the equipment I have unopened now, thereby saving $300, but the computer shop may not easily accept the return of gear after I have assembled and tested it, (especially since we have already made a deal regarding the return of the equipment).

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
I asked because I can simply return the unopened cardboard box to the computer shop and get new items, but it will cost me $300 to hire another delivery service to transport the new items to where I live. If pc equipment is generally built to withstand rough treatment during transport, I'm considering whether it's best to check the equipment I have unopened now, thereby saving $300, but the computer shop may not easily accept the return of gear after I have assembled and tested it, (especially since we have already made a deal regarding the return of the equipment).
Why would you have to pay so much and if there is shipping damage, surely you would not have to pay for shipping all over again... that wouldnt make any sense.

Computer parts are fairly well packaged as individual components. I think its pretty unlikely that you will have a shipping damage issue.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A small delivery service specializing in the transport of fragile items costs $300. Have used large delivery services before, and they damaged my pc equipment (ten years ago). Large delivery services are known for relatively rough treatment of packages. Google it, if you doubt it.

I'm an amateur when it comes to assembling computers. This is my second build, so spending time on building the computer only to perhaps discover that there is something wrong (because of rough treatment during transport) is not something I prefer if experts here say that the equipment probably have a good chance of being damaged. It's then much quicker and easier, but expensive, to simply return it all, unopened, and get new gear from the computer shop.

·
Graphics Junkie
2,470 Posts
A small delivery service specializing in the transport of fragile items costs $300. Have used large delivery services before, and they damaged my pc equipment (ten years ago). Large delivery services are known for relatively rough treatment of packages. Google it, if you doubt it.

I'm an amateur when it comes to assembling computers. This is my second build, so spending time on building the computer only to perhaps discover that there is something wrong (because of rough treatment during transport) is not something I prefer if experts here say that the equipment probably have a good chance of being damaged. It's then much quicker and easier, but expensive, to simply return it all, unopened, and get new gear from the computer shop.
Well I guess you can post some pics of it the boxes but the damage to the boxes would have to be pretty bad for there to be cause for concern.

·
Invalid Media
2,180 Posts
When the driver was offloading a cardboard box (60 cm tall) with high-end cpu, gpu, psu, water cooler, ram, motherboard, ssd, sound card and gaming mouse, he toppled it over, so the box slammed into the floor of the delivery van. There was no visible damage to the cardboard box, but can this kind of treatment damage the fragile items inside, like skewing the fans of the gpu for example? Here's some of the gear:

i9 10900K
2080 RTX Super
ROG Maximus XII Formula
Corsair 1000 w psu
H115i Pro water cooler
64 gb RAM
Samsung 860 Pro

...unlikely that the CPU took damage, if anything, some of the other parts you listed **might** not take kindly to that toppling over - but again, unlikely.

To be on the safe side, just text / e-mail the shop where you bought it and let them know that there was a small mishap in the delivery, suggesting that you will try it all out and then follow-up...this way, you'll have a time-stamped record, just in case...

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts

i9 10900K
2080 RTX Super
ROG Maximus XII Formula
Corsair 1000 w psu
H115i Pro water cooler
64 gb RAM
Samsung 860 Pro

no. this is why they use dampening in the packaging.

if you think that's bad, then you definitely shouldn't google the drop, toss, & kick hell that is a Sort Facility.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The package toppled over and hit the flat floor with a bang but no visible damage. I was worried about the nano tech of the CPU, since I want to get 5.3 ghz out of it, without any (long-term) degradation caused by the hit it got when toppling over. Good to hear that CPUs can withstand such treatment. My remaining concern now is (long-term) loosening of the fans, perhaps they'll get noisy in 2-3 weeks (or months) because they got hit during transport? And what about the internal wiring of the psu, motherboard, RAM, ssd, and water cooler?

Being an amateur how can I know whether the assembled computer is performing sub-optimally or not? This is probably a foolish question, but I'm an ignorant newbie when it comes to the internal workings of computer equipment. That's why I'm asking you guys.

After the feedback now I will probably try to assemble the computer parts. Hopefully it works.

·
Facepalm
8,215 Posts

i9 10900K
2080 RTX Super
ROG Maximus XII Formula
Corsair 1000 w psu
H115i Pro water cooler
64 gb RAM
Samsung 860 Pro
If your AIO watercooler didn't leak all over the box, there's no damage to anything. Stop complaining.
That's the thing you need to worry about.
Did you really say that your GPU fans might be misaligned??? Oh man...this is as bad as reachthesky / xgs duplicity thinking microsoft, NSA and google are going to hack him through the BIOS... :)

Protip: check the AIO.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I doubt it. I live in South Africa and have had plenty of hardware sent from Amazon and zero issues. Besides how did the hardware get from the factory to the shop ? In the back of a normal truck.

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
The package toppled over and hit the flat floor with a bang but no visible damage. I was worried about the nano tech of the CPU, since I want to get 5.3 ghz out of it, without any (long-term) degradation caused by the hit it got when toppling over. Good to hear that CPUs can withstand such treatment. My remaining concern now is (long-term) loosening of the fans, perhaps they'll get noisy in 2-3 weeks (or months) because they got hit during transport? And what about the internal wiring of the psu, motherboard, RAM, ssd, and water cooler?

Being an amateur how can I know whether the assembled computer is performing sub-optimally or not? This is probably a foolish question, but I'm an ignorant newbie when it comes to the internal workings of computer equipment. That's why I'm asking you guys.

After the feedback now I will probably try to assemble the computer parts. Hopefully it works.

see original assertion about the fact the box goes thru much worse during the Shipping & Handling process, and should be fine.

either way - the only way to know is to turn the stuff on. NV vendors (except EVGA MAYBE) are gonna push back hard if you call in an RMA on an unopened box, unless said box was physically damaged during the delivery process.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Wait until you realize how all of your packages are handled in the shipping centers and warehouses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The computer shop gives customers an automatic right to return all items ordered online within 14 days. No matter what. No questions asked. If it's unused. But it's my favorite computer shop, so don't want to take advantage of this right if it's unnecessary.

If no one else in this forum objects to the replies I have received so far, then I will start assembling the computer 🙂

Thanks for reassuring help. Appreciate it a lot 🙂

·
Vermin Supreme 2020
25,774 Posts
we run thru hundreds of monitors n laptops a year, n it blows my mind the condition they come in sometimes.

soaking wet, smashed, n bashed... Yet, the internals are almost always fine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts