1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
why can't dell canada have nice prices lol

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Because the price went up- they prob got flooded with orders- figure they can make a little more money- still a decent price
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
130 Posts
Yeah, must have went u. I think I will pick up another 1440p for the hell of it. Can't really beat that price for a new one.

I miss my vr6. lol

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Thanks BootyWarrior! +Rep. I was about to order one from Amazon for $585 since they finally price matched neweggs 10% off. This is a much better deal. $545 after tax. Ironically I had just emailed my Dell rep to see if they could get me a good deal since I have a Dell Prefered account. They haven't gotten back to me yet, but I doubt they could beat this. I ordered mine last night from your link. Now I need to sell my U2412m on Craigslist.

Update: Wow, looks like it did go up to $540+tax, glad I ordered last night.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
hmmm...not sure i'f ill regret it but I cancelled my order with one of their hard to understand indian reps. My order hasn't even been processed and it has been a couple days, seemed kind of weird, but the main thing was all the issues I researched of backlight bleed, ips glow, yellow tinting, and image retention that people were having that scared me, also the biggest scare for me as a hardcore fps guy is the input/processing lag. I'm probably overreacting but for that amount of money there shouldn't be any issues.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
My order was delayed delivery from 4/12 to 4/17, but this is a great price and I don't mind waiting. I've bought a lot of laptops from Dell and I've always had awesome service.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfbumb View Post

hmmm...not sure i'f ill regret it but I cancelled my order with one of their hard to understand indian reps. My order hasn't even been processed and it has been a couple days, seemed kind of weird, but the main thing was all the issues I researched of backlight bleed, ips glow, yellow tinting, and image retention that people were having that scared me, also the biggest scare for me as a hardcore fps guy is the input/processing lag. I'm probably overreacting but for that amount of money there shouldn't be any issues.
Any specific details and stories you've encountered in your research? I only ask because I'm looking to purchase one and I'd like to hear what you've heard or have been hearing...
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VashSky View Post

Any specific details and stories you've encountered in your research? I only ask because I'm looking to purchase one and I'd like to hear what you've heard or have been hearing...
smile.gif
I've done quite a bit of research on it. I've found many people say "The U2713Hm would not be good for competitive FPS players", due to the lag issue. BUT I have never read a post where someone said they returned one because of it. I've read many posts by owners who state they monitor works fine for gaming. Basically if you are not a Pro player, you will never care. That is what I am hoping.

My concern now is that I should have waited on buying. 4k is probably a year or two out. Should I just run my 24" 1920x1200 until 4k becomes the standard?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkeriefire View Post

I've done quite a bit of research on it. I've found many people say "The U2713Hm would not be good for competitive FPS players", due to the lag issue. BUT I have never read a post where someone said they returned one because of it. I've read many posts by owners who state they monitor works fine for gaming. Basically if you are not a Pro player, you will never care. That is what I am hoping.

My concern now is that I should have waited on buying. 4k is probably a year or two out. Should I just run my 24" 1920x1200 until 4k becomes the standard?
I have heard that the input lag could become an issue for crazy intense FPS players but I'm building a rig primarily designed for Skyrim + modding (super fast RAM, lots of V-RAM etc.) so I think I "should" be good. My only concern really is if there are any major major issues that wouldn't be suited for that kind of build like disastrous ghosting, crazy light bleed, or something to that effect. My thoughts on 4k is that you need to have a supreme multi-GPU setup to even power any modern game at the max resolution. Even a single GTX Titan wouldn't be able to knock out Skyrim at max with the hi-res texture pack set at 4k (maybe 20-30 fps, maybe, if you could even get it at high). What I'm saying is is that a 4k setup deserves it's own price bracket, not just a monitor that can handle it.

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
^^^ Great point on my GPUs not being ready for 4k anyway. +Rep. I guess will keep my U2713hm on order.

·
Premium Member
4,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by valkeriefire View Post

The U2713HM actually has fairly low input lag compared to older IPS screens, and little to no ghosting. It's not as responsive as a TN panel thanks to the extra internal image processing hardware, but we're talking about a difference in milliseconds here. To most people it would be imperceptible (the enhanced image quality won't be though!
tongue.gif
).

My Samsung PLS has similar levels of input lag and I honestly don't notice it at all. I would say the lag was slightly more pronounced on my older U2711, but even that wasn't a serious hindrance for me.

A few people started a U2713HM club over in the monitors section, so I'd ask there if you have more specific questions
thumb.gif

·
Registered
865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booty Warrior View Post

The U2713HM actually has fairly low input lag compared to older IPS screens, and little to no ghosting. It's not as responsive as a TN panel thanks to the extra internal image processing hardware, but we're talking about a difference in milliseconds here. To most people it would be imperceptible (the enhanced image quality won't be though!
tongue.gif
).

My Samsung PLS has similar levels of input lag and I honestly don't notice it at all. I would say the lag was slightly more pronounced on my older U2711, but even that wasn't a serious hindrance for me.

A few people started a U2713HM club over in the monitors section, so I'd ask there if you have more specific questions
thumb.gif
From the Anandtech review on the U2713HM club thread they mentioned this:
Quote:
Here the Dell performs almost identically to the Nixeus that we recently reviewed, which means bad things for gamers. We have over a full frame of input lag, and then 11ms of pixel response time to bring our total lag up to 29.5ms, which is nearly two full frames on a 60 fps game. While the U2713HM is fine for everything else, for games that require fast reflexes and can't deal with two frames of lag you'll probably need to look elsewhere. I know some consider two frames to be acceptable and some consider anything over one frame to be unacceptable, so you will have to decide what you can live with.

I'm still debating even though I shouldn't even be thinking of buying a monitor
tongue.gif

·
Registered
564 Posts
I own the U2713HM. I have played fast paced FPS games on PC for a decade, and I notice NO input lag. It is most likely there, but it is below my perception level and in no way affects my performance in FPS games.

I am using a Logitech G700 mouse set to 500hz polling rate, and I do notice lag when I lower it to 125hz, so I am fairly sensitive.

The testing methods that many of the reviewers use are not always accurate, and are almost never consistent between different reviewers.

Ghosting isn't any more of an issue than any other IPS panel. If you are thinking of not getting the U2713HM because of input lag or ghosting for FPS games, don't worry about it. If you are the kind of person who notices lag this small, you are probably currently gaming on a 120Hz TN panel or a CRT.

The main issue (the only real issue, to be honest) with this display is the IPS glow in the lower left corner that is very apparenty in a dark room; it appears that the enclosure puts pressure on the LCD in such a way as to make the glow predominantly in the lower left corner. However, Dell will replace your monitor without asking any questions if you have this issue; I should be getting my replacement in the next few days and hopefully it will be better. I also got 1 dead pixel on mine, which is odd given the price of the monitor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts