Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody have any suggestions about a new mobo that would fit in my dell 8200 case, that supports a 478 socket processor (P4)? By the way, it cant be outrageously expensive. Also, it must be overclockable.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
well, it depneds on the case fittings and screw mounts. if its starnderd ATX then its easy to find a mobo, but if not, then new case time.

but also the psu might be the different kind so that would need upgrading to.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, lets see, heres my upgrade list
new processor
NEW ram
new mobo
new case
new psu
I think I might as well get a new rig... I really need to start saving.

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Problems I had dealing with my Dell "upgrade":

1) PSU was insufficient wattage (only 250W) for an ATI 9800 Pro
2) PSU cannot be upgraded due to proprietary case & PSU design (plug in wrong place) - this can be dealt with if you have a dremel, but all those micro-fine chips in a PC case...nah, rather spend $50-$150 for a new case and PSU setup then risk frying hardware.

Yes, the screw locations in/on my Dell (Dimension 4550) were ATX compatible so you should be able to mount an ATX board to their tray so that the height is correct for the cutouts, but the layout of the ports on the mobo may be different, requiring more dremel work as Dell cases do not have knock-outs.

The only "Dell" feature left on my PC is the Dell Support button in my Start menu since I loaded XP from the Dell supplied disk. My suggestion, yes, go with a new rig.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts