Overclock.net banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Dell laptop with a dying hard drive. All important files are already backed up to disc. I just got a new drive. Can I just install it and run the recovery CDs that came with the laptop to restore it?

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
The short answer is yes, but...

Aare the Windows .cab files installed in the HDD or do you have a separate Windows disk?

If the .cab files are in the HDD, when you run the recovery cd, it will need them to reinstall Windows. If they are not there... you can figure out the rest.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't know anything about the .cab files. I'll have to just give it a try. The old drive is like, 95% dead, so I can recover files if I really have to, but not for long.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StepsAscend

I have a Dell laptop with a dying hard drive. All important files are already backed up to disc. I just got a new drive. Can I just install it and run the recovery CDs that came with the laptop to restore it?

Which Dell do you have? We have an Inspiron 2650 and have been supplied with a OS install disk, and a driver install disk.
So when I installed a new hard drive, I installed the OS from the XP disk from Dell.
It was a complete new install, not a recover disk.
Some say the recover disk will place everything back exactly the way it was when it was new.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an 1100 I think, I painted over the model number doing a custom job. The disks say reinstallation. The first one says "Reinstallation CD, Windows XP Pro, SP1a." Then of course there are like, 5 more with applications and drivers. When I put the disk in my desktop, I get the same options window I do with my OEM windows xp pro cd. So I guess its just the OS.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by StepsAscend

Its an 1100 I think, I painted over the model number doing a custom job. The disks say reinstallation. The first one says "Reinstallation CD, Windows XP Pro, SP1a." Then of course there are like, 5 more with applications and drivers. When I put the disk in my desktop, I get the same options window I do with my OEM windows xp pro cd. So I guess its just the OS.

I would suggest you install the new hard drive.
(I hope you purchased a 7200rpm replacement)
This upgrade in the hard drive makes the system run like you doubled the processor speed.
At least ours did.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the repair is for my girlfriend, and she's not an intense computer user, plus budget was tight. The old drive was a 4200 2mb, the new one is 5400 8mb, so there should be a performance imporvement.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
yeah that disc you have that says win xp sp1 is what you need... that is basically just windows xp except it has been modified by Dell so you don't need to put a key and stuff in.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the new drive was supposed to be here today, but I guess FedEx is just being lazy, should be here tomorrow. In the meantime I took the laptop apart to get at the old one and prep it for install. After taking the whole thing apart, I realized you can remove the hard drive with just 2 screws from the underside of where the PC card goes.

Genius. I should have known that, cause I've taken this thing apart before to paint it. Anyway, while I was in there I decided to check out the heatsink, because this laptop gets really hot. After lifting the sink, I noticed a rather shotty thermal paste job. Look how uneven it is. Whoever is responsible for this should be sacked.

So I grabbed the Goo Gone and AS5 and fixed it up. When the drive gets here tomorrow, I'll post on how the install went.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I put the drive in today and installed everything. It all went fine, just took about 3 hours to get everything back on the system. I spent almost an hour just installing security updates from Windows Update. What a pain. I'll never buy a toshiba hard drive, since this one died, though I love most of their other products.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts