Overclock.net banner

Dell Hard drive replacement.

6541 Views 10 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  StepsAscend
I have a Dell laptop with a dying hard drive. All important files are already backed up to disc. I just got a new drive. Can I just install it and run the recovery CDs that came with the laptop to restore it?
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its an 1100 I think, I painted over the model number doing a custom job. The disks say reinstallation. The first one says "Reinstallation CD, Windows XP Pro, SP1a." Then of course there are like, 5 more with applications and drivers. When I put the disk in my desktop, I get the same options window I do with my OEM windows xp pro cd. So I guess its just the OS.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, the repair is for my girlfriend, and she's not an intense computer user, plus budget was tight. The old drive was a 4200 2mb, the new one is 5400 8mb, so there should be a performance imporvement.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, the new drive was supposed to be here today, but I guess FedEx is just being lazy, should be here tomorrow. In the meantime I took the laptop apart to get at the old one and prep it for install. After taking the whole thing apart, I realized you can remove the hard drive with just 2 screws from the underside of where the PC card goes.

Genius. I should have known that, cause I've taken this thing apart before to paint it. Anyway, while I was in there I decided to check out the heatsink, because this laptop gets really hot. After lifting the sink, I noticed a rather shotty thermal paste job. Look how uneven it is. Whoever is responsible for this should be sacked.

So I grabbed the Goo Gone and AS5 and fixed it up. When the drive gets here tomorrow, I'll post on how the install went.

· Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I put the drive in today and installed everything. It all went fine, just took about 3 hours to get everything back on the system. I spent almost an hour just installing security updates from Windows Update. What a pain. I'll never buy a toshiba hard drive, since this one died, though I love most of their other products.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.