Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey I just ordered this laptop with the Pentium M740 Processor and was wondering if this laptop can be upgraded later with a video card for maybe a bit of light gaming? Any help would be appreciated.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,145 Posts
You won't be able to upgrade the graphics
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you mean I wouldn't be able to order a card from Dell and put it in or are you saying the mobo doesn't support a video card?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,145 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Blade

you mean I wouldn't be able to order a card from Dell and put it in or are you saying the mobo doesn't support a video card?


Nope, the graphics chip is embedded into the motherboard. You can't remove it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,145 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Blade

you mean I wouldn't be able to order a card from Dell and put it in or are you saying the mobo doesn't support a video card?


Nope, the graphics chip is embedded into the motherboard. You can't remove it or add a new one.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by pbasil1

arrgg.... dell..........


lol agreed

P.S. I am guilty but I thought for a laptop it should be ok.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,811 Posts
i geuss, but there is still better companys out for laptops and such, but if you plan to just do work and stuff on it, whats the difference right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Blade

Hey I just ordered this laptop with the Pentium M740 Processor and was wondering if this laptop can be upgraded later with a video card for maybe a bit of light gaming? Any help would be appreciated.

What are the specks of the new laptop?
Some can be upgraded, video card, memory, hard drive and processor. Some does not like the upgrade route much.
We have a Dell Inspiron 2650 and have upgraded the hard drive, installed a DVD DL Burner, more memory, and a wireless NIC. None of these components were purchased from Dell. Hitachi 5K100 hard drive, PIoneer DVR-K16 DL DVDrw, Corsair PC2100 memory, TrendNet Wireless NIC. All these components work flawlessly, a breeze to install and cost less than half or more than the Dell components. Have a much longer warranty too.
Memory has a lifetime warranty, Hard Drive a 3yr warranty, the DVDrw has a 1year warranty, the wireless NIC has a 1year warranty. Most of the Dell components carry from a 30day to 90day warranty.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by claymanhb

Nope, the graphics chip is embedded into the motherboard. You can't remove it or add a new one.

Our Dell has a GeForce 2 Go which is not a great card. We have the option to use a 8mb, 16mb, 32mb, & 64mb card of the same type. None of them are very expensive, $20-$80. Ours is a medium class and supports 1024x765x32bit true color. Don't know of anything that we need any better than this for a laptop.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by bobyjo

What are the specks of the new laptop?
Some can be upgraded, video card, memory, hard drive and processor. Some does not like the upgrade route much.
We have a Dell Inspiron 2650 and have upgraded the hard drive, installed a DVD DL Burner, more memory, and a wireless NIC. None of these components were purchased from Dell. Hitachi 5K100 hard drive, PIoneer DVR-K16 DL DVDrw, Corsair PC2100 memory, TrendNet Wireless NIC. All these components work flawlessly, a breeze to install and cost less than half or more than the Dell components. Have a much longer warranty too.
Memory has a lifetime warranty, Hard Drive a 3yr warranty, the DVDrw has a 1year warranty, the wireless NIC has a 1year warranty. Most of the Dell components carry from a 30day to 90day warranty.


These are the specs minus the printer,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Blade

Hey I just ordered this laptop with the Pentium M740 Processor and was wondering if this laptop can be upgraded later with a video card for maybe a bit of light gaming? Any help would be appreciated.

The only alternative you might have is upgrade the video card drivers.
I would search for the drivers for the intergrated Intel video card and see if there are any later drivers than the ones you are using.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top