Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I transfered a Dell Optiplex PC to a new case. The MB uses a 5 pin CPU fan header because Dell is so awesome. I bought an adapter from Amazon and it turned out to be different from what I ordered so I'm wondering if there is even an adapter that allows me to plug in my heatsink fan to a Dell Optiplex motherboard.

If I can't plug the CPU fan into the MB, is there an option to plug the fan into the PSU but keep it as low as it will go for the noise? The PC never gets hot anyways. It's not overclocked. It could probably not even need a fan but I want to be safe. Is there a fan controller I can stick in the case and plug directly into the PSU and bypass the MB altogether? My priority is noise. It will never get that hot. It's not a powerful system. I would like the fan on the lowest setting at all times.

Thanks

Edit: Or could I set one of those Antec Tricool variable fans onto my heatsink? I'm thinking about buying 2 of those for case intake and plugging them into the PSU and setting them to low. I don't know how big the heatsink is but I think it's a standardized size. It's a Cooler Master T2. It uses 2 pipes.

·
I took this profile pic
3,964 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for this. I bought one on Amazon but they sent the wrong part. I just bought one of these so let's hope this works.

Also do you have any recommendations for low speed intake fans for the case? I have some Antec Tricools for my other PC that have a little switch to turn them on low and quiet but I can't seem to find the same ones online.

·
Premium Member
27,126 Posts
Seems ciarlatano sorted you out. He's good. :thumb:

Antec Tri-Cool are old fans .. almost as old as dirt. I assume you want 120mm ones, so you should be able to use them on cooler. What cooler is it?

If you have motherboard fan headers that control fans based on temp I would use them. System will run quiet unless working hard without you needing to worry about remembering to speed up / slow down fans manually. There is a very good fan controller but it's not cheap. Aquaero 5 LT and aquaero 6 LT are very good.

What intake fans depends on how restrictive your intake vents are. What case are you changing to?

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
Clip and solder

·
Tetrapyloctomist
1,708 Posts
If the OP can excuse a slight derailing, someone educate the ignorant please; what's the fifth pin for? :headscrat

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,207 Posts
If the OP can excuse a slight derailing, someone educate the ignorant please; what's the fifth pin for? :headscrat
I'm not sure if there is actually a fifth wire used. Dell does a lot of odd proprietary things to make sure you send them back to Dell for service, or have to buy parts from them. All about the cash flow.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts