Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
(not)New to Overclock.net
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

Recently I purchased a Qnix QX2710 monitor and even before I placed the order I knew I was going to change the horrible stand. Looked up many different stands and ended up getting a Dell U2414H monitor stand ( http://im.tech-details.com/jpg/monitor/DELL/DELL_U2414H1.jpg), fully adjustable! The only problem was that the height adjustment weight-balancing spring were not supporting the weight of the Qnix. I looked the issue up, but couldn't find how to adjust the tension of springs, only other people asking the same thing. Luckily, the seller sent me the wrong stand initially, than sent the correct one and left me the wrong stand too. So I decided to see if the spring can be adjusted by taking the stand apart. I was able to adjust the spring very easy and I decided to post a little "how to" for people that may find themselves in the same situation.
This applies to most Dell stands that use weight balancing spring for height adjustment. (some use a button to lock the monitor in position)

1. Remove mounting plate, some have 3 screws, some have 4(in my case this was changed with a VESA adapter plate Dell sells)
VESA adapter plate pics
For sale on ebay

2.Remove the plastic coveri Simply pull the plastic cover open, start at the top and continue all the way to the base of the stand

Bend the mid-piece from under the tilt/pivot mounting base. Nice and easy so you don't break it!

5. With the plastic cover out of the way, we have access to the screw that adjusts the tension of the spring

6. If the spring is too soft and the stand cannot hold the weight of the monitor you need to tighten the screw/ adjust clockwise.
If the spring is to strong simply unscrew/ adjust counterclockwise.

Mount everything back when done! Try the spring as you adjust the tension until it "feels" right. You may have to redo if didn't tighten/unscrew enough.

Hopefully this will help some people.

EDIT: With @ENTERPRISE's permission, I updated this post {Thank you!
thumb.gif
}! The links I used back in 2015 were dead and I got messages about this, so there you go!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the great post! I have the same monitor and have been contemplating getting the same stand and vesa adapter, *hoping*, that it would hold the qnix. Is the U2414H monitor stand tall enough to put the qnix in portrait mode? Can you post pictures of your monitor on the stand? Thanks again, been looking for a decent stand option for a while.

·
(not)New to Overclock.net
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wasn't sure if it was gonna hold the weight either. Well, it didn't! But as you can see it's easily fixable.
Regarding portrait mode, it works, but you have to tilt it all the way back so it doesn't hit the desk with the corner when you flip it and it cannot be perpendicular to the desk because stand is not tall enough (at least my model, U2414H stand might be taller).

Max height (after spring adjustment it holds the weight)

• Rep+
Reactions: DellMonitorUSer2022

·
Registered
36 Posts
So am I understanding correctly that the up/down adjustment is just based on monitor weight? Ok, I just got this stand today though actually for the Dell U2414 monitor that hasn't arrived yet so I was looking at the stand and the plate just wants to shoot to the top. Thought I might have been missing a tab or something and without the monitor I could try it lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the how-to. Just picked up the same Dell stand with a VESA mount off ebay for my new Asus VN248H-P. When I unpacked the stand I thought the height spring was too strong, but when I put the monitor on it just barely hold the monitor where I set it. If I bump my desk, the monitor slides down. Was on the phone with Dell for an hour trying to find out if there was an adjustment for the spring tension and it was a complete circle jerk.

Going to try this adjustment tomorrow... I'll let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
So am I understanding correctly that the up/down adjustment is just based on monitor weight? Ok, I just got this stand today though actually for the Dell U2414 monitor that hasn't arrived yet so I was looking at the stand and the plate just wants to shoot to the top. Thought I might have been missing a tab or something and without the monitor I could try it lol.
Hey were you able to figure out how to adjust the height? I still can't figure it out :S No buttons nada :(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this, it helped salvage a stand that had become loose over time. However there were a few differences (I have the same sliver 3 screw model as shown). The main plastic cover was extremely hard to remove, and indeed a few clips broke in the process. I'm not sure if I was supposed to fully remove the cover, but I couldn't remove the final clip at the middle-front part of the base.

In sliding the plastic cover off it is very easy to scratch the plastic against the back of the mounting bracket, especially the central plastic section. You may wish to guard against this before you attempt to remove it. The central section that needs to be bent to slide under the mount must bend to an extreme degree, and I'm amazed it didn't snap. If I could have removed the aforementioned bottom clip it would have been easy, so perhaps that was the problem.

The tension adjustment screw appears to be a Phillips head in the photo, but mine was a small Hex 2.0 head.

All that being said, the operation was successful, and the stand currently holds an unusually heavy U2413 with ease.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Recently bought a used Dell monitor and the monitor would not stay put but would instead keep going all the way up. Turning the screw clockwise allowed the monitor to now stay put.

Thank you for this guide.

PS: Made user account just to post this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I am soooo glad you posted these steps because I am having the same issue, however, my monitor is a little different, and I cannot figure out how to het the plastic cover off mine without breaking it.. Please help!

Gadget Bumper Rectangle Tool Cable

Office equipment Bumper Gadget Automotive exterior Auto part

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi. I think the last picture shows a piece of tape. I believe thats where the hole is that you then turn clockwise/counter clockwise. Mine also had tape covering the hole. Just remove the tape and your good to go!

·
Registered
3 Posts
So the hole is in the opposite side and you cant reach it because the plastic wont fully come off? If thats the case then I don't know what would be helpful, aside from actually breaking the plastic to reach the hole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts