Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three same generation disks but 2 are 1tb and 1 is 750gb. I am trying to create a VD with raid5 setup and it creates a 1.36TB raid5 VD. This is fine.

But it doesn't let me use the remaining 250GB on the two disks to create another VD. Does anybody know why? I could easily create a RAID1 or RAID0 array out of the remaining 250GB on each disk. Is that even possible?

Or does it allow only the RAID5 and is waiting for me to add another 250GB disk and it will allow me to then span across these three?

Is this the limitation of Dell firmware? I had LSI firmware before for testing card's speed and now I reflashed to Dell's latest firmware. I did notice that Dell's firmware doesn't allow greater than 128K stripe size but that's besides the point...

Should I try LSI firmware? Or is this how this configuration supposed to work?

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
I am pretty sure the remaining space is not available if you do a raid 5. it takes your smallest disk then partitions the other 2 drives to match that, leaving the rest of the space wasted. As far as I know it isnt possible to use the remaining space.

·
Premium Member
2,443 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by devsk
View Post

What happens if I remve 750gb and add a 1tb disk to it? Will it detect the change and expand the array to 2TB or it will continue to leave it at 1.4TB and just rebuild?

Since the array was already created as a 1.4TB it would stay that way and rebuild. You would have to make a new array of 2.0TB. I am pretty sure since the raid is made in hardware it cant be expanded using software like gparted... Don't quote me on that because I have never tried doing it, but I just don't see the likelihood as being feasible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.