Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay... so I just ripped apart two Dell computers and now I'm left with two 250W power supplies. Is there any way I can put them to use? or should I just rip out the 80mm fans and throw the rest away

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Pull the capacitors out (the big ones)...if you do disect them. Those can be used as high pass crossovers for speakers
. The fans are also useful.

You COULD use them as a dedicated fan PSU to power your fans. You COULD follow the link in my sig to run a car stereo or something off them. There's TONS of things you COULD use them for.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrfajita
View Post

Take the fans out, and use it as a test PSU for hard drives, fans, and other (non MB or GPU) stuff

+1

I have an old PSU that I use to test fans and such before setting them up in my rig. Would be especially useful if doing watercooling... could use it to leak test the loop outside the system or atleast with your system off and unplugged.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pioneerisloud
View Post

Pull the capacitors out (the big ones)...if you do disect them. Those can be used as high pass crossovers for speakers
. The fans are also useful.

You COULD use them as a dedicated fan PSU to power your fans. You COULD follow the link in my sig to run a car stereo or something off them. There's TONS of things you COULD use them for.

I've thought of making myself a small dedicated power supply setup for just my fans before.

·
Registered
2,788 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I never would have thought of using it to test hard drives, fans, optical drives etc.

Oh, they're definitely old PSUs. They come from a 4300 and a 4400. They're from 2001. So... what should I never try to power with these?

·
Registered
2,850 Posts
oh dear. yeah

dont EVER plug them into a motherboard. those are the affected years. one moment while i grab a link.

read this. they ran these power supplies all the way into late 2002.
http://www.informit.com/articles/article.aspx?p=339053

Quote:
if you currently own or are considering purchasing a desktop system from Dell you will definitely want to pay attention to this section. There is a potential booby-trap waiting to nail the unsuspecting Dell owner who decides to upgrade either the motherboard or power supply in their system. This hidden trap can cause the destruction of the motherboard, power supply or both! OK, now that I have your attention, read on

·
Premium Member
11,125 Posts
Take the fans out for spares.

Also, take the large capacitors out, then recharge them and say 'catch this', and throw it to someone. Funny stuff.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Scrap it. Take the fans and things like switches, voltage selectors, capacitors that aren't busted. You never know when you'll need them.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Are you people really that ignorant to pre made computers?? Dell stopped the proprietary power supplies a LONG time ago. Keep the power supplies. While they are low in capacity they usually are pretty good quality.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dracotonisamond
View Post

250 watts is fairly useless imo. scrap the unit and take the fans.

A HTPC uses less than 150w loaded.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts