Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing windows 7 on a dell laptop that im fixing for my sisters friend. There are three partitions for hard drive choices. 1 is the OEM Reserved. the second is SYSTEM and the last is Primary.

My main question is how do i make it one partition with all the space on those drivers as one drive. Like how it would be if you put a brand new hard drive in there would be one partition with the full space.

·
I'm NOT new to Overclock
11,138 Posts
You'll need to format all then make each partition using the windows setup disk. If you remove the EISA boot you'll remove the laptops ability to self build.

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:

Originally Posted by compuman145 View Post
You'll need to format all then make each partition using the windows setup disk. If you remove the EISA boot you'll remove the laptops ability to self build.
wait what?? main reason im doing this is because she got bad viruses on it so it all needs to be formatted i just dont know what drive

·
Registered
525 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mocha989 View Post
wait what?? main reason im doing this is because she got bad viruses on it so it all needs to be formatted i just dont know what drive
Each partition should have a letter assigned to it, the "C" partition is usually the one with Windows on it, and that would be the one to reformat.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
If the laptop has an OEM reserved partition there is a good chance you can press X key at bootup and the laptop will start reinstalling the OS with factory settings etc...

Have you checked for that option?

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs View Post
If the laptop has an OEM reserved partition there is a good chance you can press X key at bootup and the laptop will start reinstalling the OS with factory settings etc...

Have you checked for that option?
no i just installed it to the partition it would allow me to install it to.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Normally, the "OEM Reserved" partition contains laptop diagnostic tools that a tech would ask you to access if you called in for service & support.

The SYSTEM partition is supposed to contain the necessary Windows 7 files for either an automatic rebuild of the operating system (i.e. restore to factory state), or the files necessary for you to create a recovery disc if the system didn't ship with one.

The PRIMARY partition is where Windows is actually installed.

At least, that's the way it should be according to the internal information I've read in the past.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
So you used a windows install you had on hand and not the automated factory install that should have came with it?

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs View Post
So you used a windows install you had on hand and not the automated factory install that should have came with it?
what? i got a copy of windows 7 today from the msoft store

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mocha989 View Post
what? i got a copy of windows 7 today from the msoft store
So are you going to charge the laptop owner for the new OS?

Just for the sake of curiosity whats the model number/brand of this laptop?

·
Banned
7,242 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rewindlabs
View Post

So are you going to charge the laptop owner for the new OS?

Just for the sake of curiosity whats the model number/brand of this laptop?

well she asked my dad to buy her one and im just formatting her system and installing it. and its a dell inspiron E1505

It really needs a ram upgrade. only has 512mb. needs 2GB upgrade.

·
Borking Builds Since 2020
861 Posts
I've got a Dell XPS M1530, which also had 3 partitions on it. So I'm going to hazard a guess here that your sisters laptop is running a version of XP and that one partition is the "recovery" partition, the second is probably either a diagnostic partition for a Dell tech or a "Media Center" partition (mine could boot directly to that w/o loading the whole OS, useful if all I wanted to do was watch a movie), and the third is your Primary partition of course.

I'd have to say that it's safe to completely wipe the entire hard drive, just delete the partitions as you install Win7 (where it asks you what partition you want to install to, just delete them all).

·
Overclocker
867 Posts
yep just delete all the partitions as you install from the disk as the recovery/drivers and utilities for XP wont work with Win7 there is no reason to keep the recovery partition unless you think that you might install XP back on it later. Another thing if its only got 512mb of ram in it you will have to upgrade that first before you install Win7

1 - 14 of 14 Posts