Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of my wifes brought me her comp because it won't start.
She told me it worked last week before the big rain storm we had,she thinks it got zapped.
Its a Dell 4550 dimension. It wont start or make any sounds the only light i see is the MB light. The fan doesn't spin,noda. What is the best way to test a PS?

·
Premium Member
10,476 Posts
Put another one in....

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
yeah some computer stores have a psu tester. Id recommend calling them or go to their site and ask if they have it in stock.

·
Premium Member
2,448 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry
View Post

thanks MGX, I jumped the PS and my fans came on,so i guess the PS is OK,right?

That tells you the 12v line is good. the 3.3 and 5v lines are not tested that way.DO NOT plug your psu into the dell or the dell psu into your rig. Dells are wired differently than a standard psu.
My guess would be the mb has gone bad. It lights up but nothing works. You need to get a psu tester or another DELL psu in to the system to know for sure.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by busa
View Post

That tells you the 12v line is good. the 3.3 and 5v lines are not tested that way.DO NOT plug your psu into the dell or the dell psu into your rig. Dells are wired differently than a standard psu.
My guess would be the mb has gone bad. It lights up but nothing works. You need to get a psu tester or another DELL psu to in the system to know for sure.

This is only true for much older Dell's. All modern Dell's come with a standard PSU design.

You need to Jumpstart your PSU and use a multimeter. Only real way to test it...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts