Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking for an 24" 1920x1200 IPS monitor for $600 or so, and these two stand out.

But I wanted to double check something- these have both been out quite awhile, is there nothing newer? Or comparable in quality/price?

The other problem is I would have gone for the HP personally, but you cant find it anywhere- and I cant even tell if they are still making them. I was leaning towards the HP mostly because the dynamic contrast is not as good as the HP.

I am not a photographer, I mostly play games and write code, would I even notice this contrast issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
652 Posts
I have the HP - very happy with it.
The Dell & HP use very similar panels, so image quality between the two will be about the same.
NEC have just launched a new e-IPS 1920x1080 monitor which might be worth looking at as well

·
AMD Overclocker
9,176 Posts
The u2410 is an extremely nice monitor. One of the best in its price range. I'm not sure about the hp but it seems like the u2410 is the 24" monitor to get. I was thinking about getting one but then ran into money problems

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wonder if they use identical panels if the differences would be too great for my untrained eye to even notice. Not like I would have them side by side anyways...

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Pulled the trigger on the U2410. Hope it works out!

Not sure what to do about calibration though, I dont have any gear and am not going to buy any... are there places where people put their calib info so I can use it (socofan74 *hint* *hint*!)

Or maybe you cant even do that....

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nicros
View Post

I wonder if they use identical panels if the differences would be too great for my untrained eye to even notice. Not like I would have them side by side anyways...

The U2410 uses a newer revision of the 2475W's H-IPS panel. Update the firmware when you get it, it'll fix the static dithering issue.

·
Super Moderator
19,298 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Do not use that Chinese firmware flash that was posted. There are other problems reported from doing that, and it voids any and all warranties with Dell.

I bought my U2410 months ago and it shipped with A01. My guess is yours will have it as well. Even then, remember that only a small percentage of U2410 monitors have that dithering issue. Mine, like most of them, is perfect.

If you need to though, check this forum periodically for updates. Dell is pretty good at updating people in that forum and talking to people about what's going on.

That said, I think you'll be fine.

As far as calibration goes, I could tell you my RGB settings but those are very subjective and dependant on the color temperature of the lights in your room. I purchased 5600k color temp bulbs for the purpose of photo editing but that would be overkill for someone who is just playing games or not ordering prints.

I can tell you that many people, including me, had their brightness turned all the way down to 1 and contrast nearly up to 100 as a result of calibration. The screen looks weird at first but you get used to it; when I order professional prints, they look EXACTLY like what's on my screen.

If you change your mind about a calibration device, here's the one I use. It's great. Maybe buy, calibrate, return?

Anyway, hope this helps. Congrats on the monitor! I bet you'll love it.

All the best,

Z

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cool, thanks for the tip. It should be here this thursday, so hopefully it will already have A01 on it. No reason why it shouldn't! And I wont flash it.

Sadly though the calibration tools are a bit expensive considering my uses of coding and gaming. Maybe I can track down a bud that has one though

Thanks for the advice!

·
Happy Dad
346 Posts
Just picked up 2 U2410's for $900.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts