321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
recently bought a samsung HDTV 32'' C5000, pretty nice, but glossy screen
then decided to return it and get the dell u2711
im not impressed with this monitor at all,
am i missing something
settings , ????doesnt look that good at all compared to the hdtv i had
not worth $950, thats for sure.
resolution is too tight, everything is tiny, if i increase resolutioon to 1900x1200, everything looks a lil blurry, text etc,, *** ???

·
Premium Member
3,172 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by schybrid
View Post

recently bought a samsung HDTV 32'' C5000, pretty nice, but glossy screen
then decided to return it and get the dell u2711
im not impressed with this monitor at all,
am i missing something
settings , ????doesnt look that good at all compared to the hdtv i had
not worth $950, thats for sure.
resolution is too tight, everything is tiny, if i increase resolutioon to 1900x1200, everything looks a lil blurry, text etc,, *** ???

lol, what do you expect when you don't run the native res? not even the right aspect ratio

• Rep+
Reactions: merple

·
Premium Member
6,669 Posts
The native resolution is 2560 x 1440 so anything below that will look blurry. How close/far away are you sat from the screen?

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
So you run a lower resolution/aspect ratio and you expect it to look good. You should return that monitor if you think everything looks too tiny and you are not gonna run native res. Get a 23" 1080p

·
Graphics Junkie
995 Posts
That's right. The maximum resolution of that monitor is 2560x1440...you should plan on using it at the max resolution to really see the potential of that display.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Try using it at it's native resolution...that might have something to do with it.

EDIT: Hope you're not gaming on it at that res with a GTS 250 either.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Yes, setting it at 2560*1440 everything will be much tighter than a screen that's 5" bigger and about half the pixel count. That's generally the appeal of it. And running a non-native res will suck indead. Of course, you could run it at 1280*720 and that should look less fuzzy (exactly 1/4 the pixel count, so it's an even split) but then you just spent a ton of mioney on a 720p display...

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:

Originally Posted by De-Zant
View Post

Why do all the nice things go to people who don't know how to use them and then they are thrown away?

Set it to 2560x1440. That's the appeal of the screen.
Then QQ because your card will die on that resolution.
Go out and buy a GTX 480.
EYEGASM

go to, umm, i paid my hard earned money for it ?
and i also asked on here about the monitor and the resolution etcc, but didnt get very many replies, now that ive got it, now all the closet cases come out, haaaa

·
Premium Member
9,637 Posts
If you're not a professional photographer/artist/graphic designer, there's no real use for the U2711. For gaming/movies, you'd be better off with a TN panel

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

View Post

go to, umm, i paid my hard earned money for it ?
and i also asked on here about the monitor and the resolution etcc, but didnt get very many replies, now that ive got it, now all the closet cases come out, haaaa

I didn't see that post, but google, or dells own website would have helped you immensely with facts such as resolution and such. Google would also have given you threads on other forums, if not this one, about people debating if the u2711 has to tight of pixel density.

Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex
View Post

If you're not a professional photographer/artist/graphic designer, there's no real use for the U2711. For gaming/movies, you'd be better off with a TN panel

Ummmm, no. The ONLY advantage of a TN (besides price) is a few unnoticable ms response time. It's like the difference between 24ms (IPS) and 20ms (TN) in real life, not the spec sheet. The only reason the u2711 might be bad for movies is the higher than movie res.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by r34p3rex View Post
fail

movies definitely look better on IPS..

·
No desktop currently :(
2,134 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by koven
View Post

fail

movies definitely look better on IPS..

I think what he meant was that TN panels look good enough (in gaming/movies) to make spending the extra money on IPS unwarranted.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Rocker
View Post

You just asked a really dumb question dude, sorry but it has to be said

You need to run that monitor at its native resolution which is very high and due to that fact, if you intend to play newish games on high settings at that resolution then your GPU is not upto it.

There is no question that the 27" monitor @ 2560*1440 will look much more crisp and pretty than a 32" @ 1080p.

You just did it wrong.

ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!
this u2711 is not that sharp at all, have you seen it personally , or going by what you think it should be. IM SITTING HERE IN FRONT OF IT AS I TYPE, ITS NOT THAT SHARP AT 2560x1440 !!!!

until you have one in front of you, you cant judge, done

and yes, the samsung was much nicer, period.

·
Premium Member
7,798 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!
this u2711 is not that sharp at all, have you seen it personally , or going by what you think it should be. IM SITTING HERE IN FRONT OF IT AS I TYPE, ITS NOT THAT SHARP AT 2560x1440 !!!!

I have gone from 1440x900 to 1920x1080 and I have played on 1920x1200 a lot although I don't own a display like that. I have seen the sharpness increase a LOT every time you up the pixels. If I had a display like that.

The result:

·
Premium Member
7,389 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ABSOLUTELY WRONG !!!

That monitor is a model that professionals use to edit photos/videos/digital graphics.

Do you really think that they'd all buy and use a monitor for their business that's as blurry as you claim? Or perhaps this is just a huge case of PEBKAC? Are you sure you set it to the right resolution in the first place?

If you mean "sharp" as in vivid, then that's a whole other issue. Unlike TN panels and HDTVs, IPS panels are used for color accuracy, while the formers are used usually with oversaturated colors. There's a good chance you're not used to that yet.

• Rep+
Reactions: hondajt

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
When you say sharp, what do you mean? The text still looks fuzzy? The images aren't as vibrant, etc... Now, if you are like most people who set their TV's to vivid and love it, then the Samsung is the way to go for you. It's a lot brighter, and to the untrained eye, it will look better.

However, to a keen obvserver, to a REALLY picky person (which most of us are if we are on here) the Dell is a better choice. The higher resolution means that we get more screen area. It is great for photoshop because of the color accuracy. For regular viewing, it is not the best choice.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Does anyone listen ?

IM sitting right in front of it @ 2560x1440,its not that sharp at all, even sitting close up.

I've gone thru about 4 monitors in the past month, this one is not that great at all.

might have to try the hp 30''

Well there's your problem. Sitting too close to any monitor is going to make it blurry. How close?

1 - 20 of 118 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.