Overclock.net banner

Dell UltraSharp U2711 vs Apple Thunderbolt Display

31325 Views 20 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  MikBe
I want a 27" and am trying to decide between the two. My choices are between the Apple Thunderbolt display or the Dell Ultrasharp U2711. I will eventually buy 3 of them for triple monitor gaming, but am going for 1 for right now.

Anybody have experience with these monitors? I will be buying them brand new.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPowered;14962461
It has USB, and Mini DP as well. Which with various adapters mini DP becomes DVI, HDMI, DP, VGA.
I'm looking at it now. I see three usb ports, firewire, thunderbolt, and ethernet only?

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPowered;14962529
Mini Display port.
Where is this? Sorry I don't mean to badger. I just don't want you to spend $3k on monitors that won't work for you. Plus I am curious as I was looking at the Dell as well.

Edit:
I can't find any info regarding video in on apple's website. Only the thunderbolt in.
Also, according to Wikipedia, the only in is thunderbolt.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPowered;14962557
Thunderbolt and Mini DP are the same connectors. Thunderbolt is based off Displayport.
If you check that wiki, it states that mac's without a thunderbolt port can't use the thunderbolt display though. Lots of mac's have had mini-dp ports. My old iMac from 2006 had one. There is conflicting info here. I can't find anything that confirms that thunderbolt and mini-dp use the same ports, just that it is based off of dp.

· Registered
1,089 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerPowered;14962610
Apples website will tell you what I posted above.
The way I read it is that a Display port display can hook up to a thunderbolt out. Not a thunderbolt display connecting to a mini display port. Listen I'm done here. But I just think that it won't work. Prove me wrong. Go buy these displays please.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.