Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am looking to upgrading my laptop (something you don't hear often), and was wondering if my laptop is compatible. I was wondering if the Vostro 1510 (sig rig) uses a modular type PCI-E card (not MXM). I know the Vostro 1500 did, and I was wondering if I could upgrade mine.

Please don't answer the typical; "Laptops can't be upgraded", because you are wrong.

I am also pondering if a T5670 --> T7300 is a smart idea. The total laptop upgrade would cost ~ $190-ish.

EDIT:
I don't care about battery life, it is almost always plugged in.

I called Dell and they couldn't even answer my question. I am not going to upgrade it considering the laptop is just failing all over the place.

Problems, as of now:
- DVD drive not recognized, will not eject disks
- Track pad doesn't always work
- Graphics card switches between 1024x768 and 1440x900 when coming out of sleep, you have to quickly change the display setting before the resolution changes again
- The cursor clicks onto random parts of large bodies of text and transfers typed words all over the document, not intended location

I had all of these problems with my Vostro 1400 (replaced by Vostro 1510, which is also dying) except the DVD drive not working. The DVD drive stopped working after updating the BIOS, and I can't figure out how to downgrade to the A10 version (I have the A15 version).

Any help is appreciated, I need to have this laptop, otherwise I am screwed until college (2011 high school graduation).

Thanks OCN!

·
Banned
1,123 Posts
I'm not sure if you can even swap GPU's to begin with. I ran a quick google search and all images show a non-removable, integrated GPU on the motherboard. If you can take the back panel off and check then that will help in figuring out the slot type.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
My dads video card 8 series nvidia card that was in his dell xps died so he was gonna replace it, the thing is about 150-250$ to replace he just ened up buying a brand new dell from walmart that was 4x better then what he had paid for then updating the old dinosar that he paid 2x price for. just a heads up.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian_ View Post
My dads video card 8 series nvidia card that was in his dell xps died so he was gonna replace it, the thing is about 150-250$ to replace he just ened up buying a brand new dell from walmart that was 4x better then what he had paid for then updating the old dinosar that he paid 2x price for. just a heads up.
Ok, I can get an 8600M GT for $80. So that is a lot better than buying a new laptop that is more capable for $600+. I don't have that kind of cash unless I dump my desktop, which is not an option. I still need a laptop and desktop.

I guess I will open it and figure out.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Antolen View Post
Did you try to open it up and see what the 8400 slot is ?
I can't seem to locate it, this is one of the most difficult laptops to open too.

And since I updated to the latest BIOS my DVD drive won't work, I'm going to kill myself.

·
Registered
445 Posts
the 8400m gs is most likely a intergrated gpu. it may be a mini pci-e gpu, but don't count on it. also, if you actually swap in a 8600gt, better upgrade your battery too.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by tincanman View Post
the 8400m gs is most likely a intergrated gpu. it may be a mini pci-e gpu, but don't count on it. also, if you actually swap in a 8600gt, better upgrade your battery too.
I don't care about battery life, it is almost always plugged in.

I called Dell and they couldn't even answer my question. I am not going to upgrade it considering the laptop is just failing all over the place.

Problems, as of now:
- DVD drive not recognized, will not eject disks
- Track pad doesn't always work
- Graphics card switches between 1024x768 and 1440x900 when coming out of sleep, you have to quickly change the display setting before the resolution changes again
- The cursor clicks onto random parts of large bodies of text and transfers typed words all over the document, not intended location

I had all of these problems with my Vostro 1400 (replaced by Vostro 1510, which is also dying) except the DVD drive not working. The DVD drive stopped working after updating the BIOS, and I can't figure out how to downgrade to the A10 version (I have the A15 version).

Thread title will be changed to reflect need for help.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
To quote Dells tear down instructions:

Quote:
Integrated Vs. Discreet
Integrated Versus Discrete

There is some confusion over what exactly is an integrated video solution and one that is considered discrete. This is because not all discrete solutions are removable. This depends on the system. The easy way to differentiate the two is as follows:

* Integrated - An integrated video controller is part of the system chipset. On the Vostro™ 1510 system, the integrated solution is the Intel® GMA X3100.
* Discrete - There is only one discrete offering for this platform: the NVIDIA® GeForce™ 8400 GS.

Once again, even though the NVIDIA card is considered a discrete option on this system, it is soldered onto the system board and cannot be replaced separately. An entire system board must be sent out for video failure, no matter which graphics solution the system has. Technicians must be sure to select the correct system board part number from RSL.
Dell doesn't list a specific list of CPUs supported, but it does talk about the 7K and 5K series in the documentation. SO I would guess you can use the 7300.

Keep in mind, if you replace either one of those items, you are goingt o nullify any warranty as both are non customer replaceable units.

As for the DVD Drive and the mouse. Reboot the computer and during the Dell Splash screen (BIOS loading) press F12. It will bring up the One Time Boot Menu, when the menu comes up, select Diagnostics. Let the PSA tests run, they will complete hopefully without issue, and then it will prompt if you want to boot the diagnostic partition. Do this and then select extended test. This will run the full suite of tests on all the hardware in the computer, just be sure you have a disc in the optical drive or it will error since it cant read something that isn't there.

If you do this and get back I can see if i can help you more. Also, go to this page and check the warranty on your machine before you tear it open and void any potential warranty left.

Here is a link to all previous versions of the BIOS for your Vostro.

EDIT: Post 1337

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry, I didn't notice your post.

I don't have any warranty, so it is not relevant any more.

I figured out if I downgrade the BIOS the problems will be fixed, but I am not sure how to downgrade. Once I download the A10 BIOS (I have the A15) and start it up, it says I have a newer BIOS and it will keep the newest revision.

They haven't made a new BIOS update in a year, so I dunno what to do.

I am hopefully going to be sponsored by a gaming laptop manufacturer to build something custom for their line (still in the prototype stage, top secret lol) and I guess they would give me one to keep.

Hopefully :/.

·
Registered
688 Posts
im having a lot of trouble with vostro 1510 too.

my sister and my gf have the vostro 1510.

My sisters one has the battery dead (asking to be replace) and the dvdd drive that doesn't work at all.

My gf laptop also has the battery dead (asking to be replace) and recently the is something weird going on with the gpu. Whenever i connect an external monitor, any external monitor, the monitor keeps flashing and flickering a lot.

Weird because 2 months ago it wasnt doing that, and now it is. I double checked every external monitor i have with other pcs, and they work without a glimpse.

Tried installing newer versions of the nvidia rivers, but that didnt work either.

You are right about the support. Dell support is very poor. New drivers for these laptops also are not an option, such a shame.

·
Banned
4,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by denis6902 View Post
im having a lot of trouble with vostro 1510 too.

my sister and my gf have the vostro 1510.

My sisters one has the battery dead (asking to be replace) and the dvdd drive that doesn't work at all.

My gf laptop also has the battery dead (asking to be replace) and recently the is something weird going on with the gpu. Whenever i connect an external monitor, any external monitor, the monitor keeps flashing and flickering a lot.

Weird because 2 months ago it wasnt doing that, and now it is. I double checked every external monitor i have with other pcs, and they work without a glimpse.

Tried installing newer versions of the nvidia rivers, but that didnt work either.

You are right about the support. Dell support is very poor. New drivers for these laptops also are not an option, such a shame.
Yep, we seem to have similar problems.

When you say flickering, do you mean the resolution changes back and forth?

Or do you mean, as if the graphics card is artifacting?

Check the temperatures with HWMonitor.

·
Registered
688 Posts
temps are good, i did the dirty job myself a week ago, to see if it would fix that.

I took the heatsink off, and applied new thermal paste. The temps dropped 2 Celsius degrees but the monitor is still flickering.

I dont think its changing the resolution, i think its just flashing on and off, as if there was a short circuit, but there isnt one.

I seen some post about voltage instability in the house network but that isnt my situation either.

It must be something to do with the laptop only. I checked my entire house electricy and it is just fine. And i used to have it hooked to the external display not long ago, when it worked just fine.

I also dont think it is the driver, because this started to happen from one day to another without driver update. But i dont know why it is doing that.

Some people say to check the TMM in schedule, but that is not even in my schedule list. So i have no idea whats going on.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts