Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a part a dell XPS tower and removed all graphics cards and chips and i was wondering could i upgrade the processor with the core i7 ? where & what video cards/ cpus would be compatable with a Dell XPS TOWER the cpu is an intel penium 4 but i want to upgrade. could i run a different board with a dell power supply ?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I will tell you right now that trying to upgrade from something running a P4, to something running an i7 or AMD equivalent will cost you pretty much the same as a new rig, assuming you want to get the most from the system. I don't know about the power supplies, but again you would have to replace that anyway if it is as old as the rest.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by IvoidWarranties View Post
I took a part a dell XPS tower and removed all graphics cards and chips and i was wondering could i upgrade the processor with the core i7 ? where & what video cards/ cpus would be compatable with a Dell XPS TOWER the cpu is an intel penium 4 but i want to upgrade. could i run a different board with a dell power supply ?

if your CPU is an LGA socket 775, your best shot is Core 2 Duo, and MAYBE a Core 2 Quad, depending on FSB,etc.
YOu can not upgrade straight to a Core i7 because it uses a different socket. Youd have to go buy a new motherboard and possibly DDR3 Ram, so id go with what upgrades you can.

and on another note put your system specs in your signature, it would greatly help us.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
On a side note. I assume that the tower in question is one of those big blue monstrosities. Im not entirely sure but were those BTX or ATX? If they were ATX then you should be able to swap out all the parts in there no problem. If it is BTX, well, you may have some issues.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I'm definitely thinking those towers were BTX.

You'd be better of just building a whole new computer. Realistically, the only thing you could reuse is the case and possibly the hard drive and optical drive. You can build a nice AMD system for under $800.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hickeydog View Post
I'm definitely thinking those towers were BTX.

You'd be better of just building a whole new computer. Realistically, the only thing you could reuse is the case and possibly the hard drive and optical drive. You can build a nice AMD system for under $800.
If it is BTX, then the case is a no go without modding. And Technically he could reuse the mobo if he stuck with 775, but since he wants to go i7....then you are more or less right, almost none of the parts could reused.

It would really be helpful to know what tower you have. Dell has used multiple towers for the XPS series. Dell also has a bad habit of going back and forth between BTX and ATX. Some of the XPS towers also use small (server?) power supplies.

All in all, Dell has a bad habit of making terrible decisions and without knowing exactly what you have its going to be fairly difficult to help you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts