Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I received my TRUE copper and a delta 120mm 4000rpm fan to go with it, I wasn't planning on using the fan all the time (rated at 50db) just to see what the max overclock I can get but I had a problem running it at all.

After installing the true and the fan I ran p95 to check out the temps at stock clocks but my system failed after about 1 minute (no BSOD p95 just came up with errors) after changing the fan for one of my antec tri cools my system was fine and I have now achieved a decent overclock which is stable. why would a fan do this to my system? and should I RMA it?
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,428 Posts
Did you plug the fan into the motherboard?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
Did you plug the fan into the motherboard?
yep, I tried it in all three fan ports also.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
It's probably drawing far too much power. See if you have a spare 3pin-molex converter so you can plug it straight into the motherboard.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cepheus View Post
It's probably drawing far too much power. See if you have a spare 3pin-molex converter so you can plug it straight into the motherboard.
would a fan really draw that much power?
I dont have any converters but I will get hold of one and try it, thanks for your help.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,428 Posts
That was likely the problem. I'm betting the fan was drawing too much current for the fan headers to handle.

If this was the case, you experienced the best case scenario. It's possible to blow out the headers, or in rare cases, kill the board, by plugging in too powerful of a fan.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: pyra

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
That was likely the problem. I'm betting the fan was drawing too much current for the fan headers to handle.

If this was the case, you experienced the best case scenario. It's possible to blow out the headers, or in rare cases, kill the board, by plugging in too powerful of a fan.
wow, I didn't know you could kill a mobo with a fan
Thanks for all your help guys +rep for you all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
640 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blameless View Post
That was likely the problem. I'm betting the fan was drawing too much current for the fan headers to handle.

If this was the case, you experienced the best case scenario. It's possible to blow out the headers, or in rare cases, kill the board, by plugging in too powerful of a fan.
agreed, get a molex and plug it in the psu!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,800 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyra View Post
would a fan really draw that much power?
I dont have any converters but I will get hold of one and try it, thanks for your help.
yes it would. don't try to do that again, deltas actually exceed the motherboard's specs of what it will deliver to fan headers. You're lucky you didn't break part of your board.
 

·
Something witty
Joined
·
2,400 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Varjo View Post
yes it would. don't try to do that again, deltas actually exceed the motherboard's specs of what it will deliver to fan headers. You're lucky you didn't break part of your board.
Yeah, these things draw almost 20W
, WAY more than motherboards are supposed to handle. Needs to be attached to the PSU or through a fan controller.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
Yeah, these things draw almost 20W
, WAY more than motherboards are supposed to handle. Needs to be attached to the PSU or through a fan controller.
My one is 12v 3A, does that not make it 36w?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,861 Posts
Most fan headers are designed to draw between 3 and 5 watts, as a reference, yate loons draw 3.6 watts.
This draws between 18 and 24 watts, according to the product sheet


they're pretty badass fans!

I've got a couple of 92mm ones I ripped out of a server 3 years ago, and they move more air than the 250mm one in the side of my case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,342 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cepheus View Post
they're pretty badass fans!

I've got a couple of 92mm ones I ripped out of a server 3 years ago, and they move more air than the 250mm one in the side of my case.
The one I have is 120mm and rated at 190cfm, so yes pretty badass.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,428 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pyra View Post
My one is 12v 3A, does that not make it 36w?
Holy crap, that is one powerful fan.

And yeah that's 36w.

You shouldn't really have more than 1-1.5A total, over all fan headers, and no more than about .5-.6A per header, to be safe.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top