Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This weekend my little nephew was over and managed to dent the tweeter dome on one of my speakers.



I've been looking on the internet for a solution, and carefully tried to use a vacuum to get the dent out. Do you guys have any suggestions on how I can get the dent out? Do I need to take apart the tweeter and try to push the dent back from the inside?

It's a Bowers & Wilkins CM9 speaker.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
Darn, such a common thing for when you have guests over that aren't used to speakers.

If you take the tweeter apart, you can push it back from the inside. At least the ones that I have taken apart have been like that. Just be super careful with the voice coil, they are incredibly thin and delicate on tweeters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselbird View Post

Darn, such a common thing for when you have guests over that aren't used to speakers.

If you take the tweeter apart, you can push it back from the inside. At least the ones that I have taken apart have been like that. Just be super careful with the voice coil, they are incredibly thin and delicate on tweeters.
Will do, I'll try and get some schematics of the tweeter first.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
421 Posts
It looks like it's aluminum so there may be some indentations you can't get out but you should be able to gently use your fingernail to push inward from the radius of the circle and pop it mostly out. The ones I have done were just silk or some type of plastic.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
run a grille if they come with them when company comes over

if they are too badly dammaged you may have to send them in to get fixed , get it replaced or just run it as is. my paradigms got dented and im debating if its worth ordering a replacement or getting them fixed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
705 Posts
Are those B&Ws or PSBs?
I feel for you.

Before you take anything apart, brace the tweeter's edges so as to prevent excursion and then line the sucky end of your vaccuums hose with some rubber (just take a fat rubber band like the ones for broccoli and adhere it) then vaccuum your tweeter to pop it back out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
he's tried the vacuum trick. and they are B&W's its all in the OP
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFF View Post

run a grille if they come with them when company comes over

if they are too badly dammaged you may have to send them in to get fixed , get it replaced or just run it as is. my paradigms got dented and im debating if its worth ordering a replacement or getting them fixed.
I've got the grills, hadn't thought about putting them on before, but will do so in the future. Good advice.
The dealer is coming over to check them out and try to push the dent out from the inside. I won't replace the tweeter for this, haven't noticed a difference so far, tweeter itself is still intact.
 

·
I Am Gooble Gobble
Joined
·
6,669 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysos View Post

I've got the grills, hadn't thought about putting them on before, but will do so in the future. Good advice.
The dealer is coming over to check them out and try to push the dent out from the inside. I won't replace the tweeter for this, haven't noticed a difference so far, tweeter itself is still intact.
yeah, my grills always go on when theres people over.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,611 Posts
I suggest replacing the tweeter. Your dealer should be able to order one. It will be easier than trying to pop it out. I'll be very surprised if you're able to repair it by disassembling and manually trying to reform it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
so i said i contacted paradigm about my dented dust covers well the got back to me with a simple and pretty much free fix : use duct tape to pull the dented bit out. it may not be 100% perfect but it will for the most part pull the dome out.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Dionysos

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFF View Post

so i said i contacted paradigm about my dented dust covers well the got back to me with a simple and pretty much free fix : use duct tape to pull the dented bit out. it may not be 100% perfect but it will for the most part pull the dome out.
That tip worked. Got the big dent out but still can't get the smaller one out. But my dealer is stopping by tomorrow to check it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,028 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysos View Post

That tip worked. Got the big dent out but still can't get the smaller one out. But my dealer is stopping by tomorrow to check it out.
your welcome and if your up for another try cut super thin pieces and attach to the center of the dent in a circular paturn then pull all of them simultaniously it should have enough pull to pop it out. hopefully it stays. but yea i dident get mine 100 percent either
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top