Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This is currently $30 bucks on Steam as an early access game but for a limited time you can get it as part of an IndieGala bundle for $2.50!!

Hurry...

https://www.indiegala.com/monday

Otherwise .. I played Descent I and II religiously back in the day ... the 6 degrees of movement coupled with a good controller such as a CH Flightstick Pro was just multiplayer HEAVEN!!

Having played Underground for a few days now, I can say it's *exactly* like Descent II but with really killer, current day graphics and map design (only about four or five maps so far, it's still young) ... but otherwise, it plays precisely like the old multi player Descent games ... and further, you can chose from among six different ships ... all with different strengths/weaknesses ...

thumb.gif

·
Premium Member
6,636 Posts
I saw this on slickdeals a few days ago, when it was a few cents cheaper. Apparently the DEVs are pissed about being included in this bundle at that price. Initially they were deleting threads in the Steam Discussion forums that mentioned the deal, although they have since reconsidered and restored the posts.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/360950/discussions/0/451850020334129808/
Quote:
So If you do think this is something you might enjoy, you might want to get in on this deal now. I was a big fan of the original, hopefully this remake manages to recapture that vibe.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Descent Underground feels like playing Descent and Descent II with new graphics. I bough it at $15 after playing it for 10 minuets to support
the developer. They have lots of updates and making good progress with the development in the game. Hopefully with more people buying it at these price we will see more players in the Beta.

·
Stock
3,716 Posts
I didn't even know. Is this MP exclusive though? Such a classic title that may face the same fate as other Full retail exclusive MP games such as Titanfall, Battlefront, Evolve. Luckily it's super reasonably priced right now. Won't hurt to try it and look forward to see this dev break the MP only curse that's been pretty rampant lately.

·
Premium Member
6,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

I was a big fan of the original, hopefully this remake manages to recapture that vibe.
You won't be disappointed.

It is *exactly* like Descent II but only re imagined in the Unreal 4 engine; many of the same retro sounds are used ... and it's awesome to see the return of the Mega Missile(tm).

I've had some really fun multi player games already ... but the user base is relatively low at this point ...

And yeah, to whoever asked ... as far as I know ... it's multiplayer only unless you do "bot fights" ...

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Thanks so much for the heads up. Purchased!
thumb.gif

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Similar in that it's a space ship with up-gradable parts, in space, and is multiplayer, but that's about the only similarities that I know of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGN-NE6S_qE

The originals and this new one featured some combat within mines which had shafts, corridors and rooms you had to navigate through. It includes multiplayer and single player campaign if I'm not mistaken.

EDIT: Gameplay is in OP.

·
I might have tacos tonite
22,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by evoll88 View Post

I guess I will have to watch some gameplay of this game since I have never heard about it before. Is it like elite dangerous?
Elite dangerous is trying to be more like a flight simulator, fairly realistic (as realistic as it gets when you're flying spaceships with laser guns
tongue.gif
).

Descent is more like a 3D FPS.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
77,951 Posts
Steam only? What about a standalone install? I don't want to install Steam just for this.

Edit: It wasn't straight-forward on their main site, but I was able to buy a standalone install for $14.99. I haven't installed it yet though because I'm in the middle of a Descent II playthrough. I'll wait until I finish it before I install Descent: Underground.

Before I went through with it, I had the impression that I wouldn't be able to play it until it was officially released and that my $14.99 would just be like a placeholder purchase or something. I came very close to just buying Sublevel Zero. Whew. lol

·
Registered
729 Posts
Hmmm, guess its time to see if I still remember how to trichord
wink.gif

I hope it is dark and gritty like the original Descent.
Descent II was pretty good, but I could do without guidebot, and multiplayer felt better with just D1 guns.
Descent III taught me that bigger rooms = boring, the art style didn't feel as good, and the ship weight felt wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts