Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to build a pc just so it can host my decatied Severs.
For Games Like
Call Of Duty 2
FEAR
Garry Mod's

I want to know what is really need for a Decatied server.

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
bassically any CPU above 2.4Ghz P4 / 2400+ Athlon. (Better = better performance in say Garrys Mod where tthere is a lot of physics)

Around 512mb - 1gb ram.

250gig HDD (incase you want to host anything else)

Mobo = your choice

Vid card = On board or something cheap.

Also rember if this is for online use you will need a good up and down speed to feed your users.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Main thing about game servers is they are much more different than data servers or file servers. For game servers, the main thing is to have enough RAM. I would suggest 2 GB for very smooth operation. The CPU should be decent, but you don't need anything extreme, like quad core or something like that, but at least get dual core. Ace is right about the video, you don't need anything besides onboard because you won't actually be playing the game. A Seagate 7200.10 or WD raptor should offer quick map loading, and try to find a gigabit LAN either onboard or an add on card.

·
Old Timer
4,895 Posts
You will need a dedicated line from your ISP with a static IP that is setup for hosting. My ISP blocks all non-esental ports so I can not host a external server. As for the sepcs, I know Valve provides recomended server specs on their website, I dont know about the other games.

EDIT: You dont need gigabit ethernet for an internet server. Even if you have fiber optic internet, you will still only be getting about 20Mbps which is still much slower then even stantard ethernet.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I Got a gigabit network so the server would be really good for gaming.( If we lan partying)
But I just building so me and my friends can not lag down so much in Gmod.

I already know about download conjuction with Upload.

I just what know what i should get gor like Cpu wise.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELmo1989
View Post

I want to build a pc just so it can host my decatied Severs.
For Games Like
Call Of Duty 2
FEAR
Garry Mod's

I want to know what is really need for a Decatied server.

The ideas on the hardware are great, but something you NEED is Lots and LOTS of bandwidth/speed. Your Internet connection is going to be the bottleneck, unless you go to a business type connection, but basicly you will need lots of upload speed for a good server, specially if you are going to be running multiple game servers.

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ELmo1989
View Post

I Got a gigabit network so the server would be really good for gaming.( If we lan partying)
But I just building so me and my friends can not lag down so much in Gmod.

I already know about download conjuction with Upload.

I just what know what i should get gor like Cpu wise.

This will work in your house, but not if the people using the server are not at your house

·
Registered
1,131 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,419 Posts
Just made a server out of my old athlon rig 2 ghz...2 10gb hardrives and about 768mb of ram...runs FEAR great...now for UT,NFSU,and Warcraft...LOL

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So compfreak basic make the the same rig I already beside the Video card.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If your on a budget:
Pentium D 805 ~ $90
mATX PD board ~ $60
2x 80GB's Raid 0 ~ $80
mATX Case + PSU ~ $100
2GB Ram ~ $200

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Any More Idea's.
Also This will be Lan server Intil I get a better Upload.
My House Is gigabit with Cat6 And I get a new network To get 2Gbps.(Full Bandwidth)

I Trying to go some what cheap.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts