Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there anyway to do this without a second PC? Like a sata 3 to USB adapter?

·
Premium Member
7,941 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prophet4NO1 View Post

Buy a drive enclosure. There are tons of options. Also drive docks are a good option if you need easy swapping of drives.
This.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hi @caenlen!

It's always a good thing to have an extra space, so IMO it will be better to use the drive since you already have it.
thumb.gif

It's not necessary to put it inside the case - you can always turn it into an external storage. For instance, you can choose between three options:

1. Use an USB adapter. It is good if you are just backing up files and it is not a permanent solution because the drive will be exposed.
2. Docking station. This is a good option, especially if you want to put more then one HDD that you want to easily swap.
3. USB enclosure like /u/jamvanderloeff suggested. This is the most permanent solution IMO because that way the drive will be fully enclosed and not exposed to any elements.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
smile.gif

·
Phenomenologist
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMiroWD View Post

Hi @caenlen!

It's always a good thing to have an extra space, so IMO it will be better to use the drive since you already have it.
thumb.gif

It's not necessary to put it inside the case - you can always turn it into an external storage. For instance, you can choose between three options:

1. Use an USB adapter. It is good if you are just backing up files and it is not a permanent solution because the drive will be exposed.
2. Docking station. This is a good option, especially if you want to put more then one HDD that you want to easily swap.
3. USB enclosure like /u/jamvanderloeff suggested. This is the most permanent solution IMO because that way the drive will be fully enclosed and not exposed to any elements.

Hope this helps and feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Cheers!
smile.gif
If I do the USB/Sata method, ala http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-2-0-To-SATA-Cable-Adapter-For-DVD-Rw-Cd-Drive-Hard-Disk-HDD-Black-/311141796646 can I play steam games from my external? or is to slow and just used to transfer steam folder to my 1tb 5400 rpm hdd on laptop? my external is 3tb 7200rpm desktop hdd sata3

·
Registered
3,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

If I do the USB/Sata method, ala http://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-3-0-2-0-To-SATA-Cable-Adapter-For-DVD-Rw-Cd-Drive-Hard-Disk-HDD-Black-/311141796646 can I play steam games from my external? or is to slow and just used to transfer steam folder to my 1tb 5400 rpm hdd on laptop? my external is 3tb 7200rpm desktop hdd sata3
Running over USB in general is not ideal for drive performance. It will slow down a bit compared to running of internal SATA connections. Even with USB3. You lose it when translating from SATA to USB and the other way around. It's not a huge drop, but it is there.

As for the device in question, I would not use that at all for any permanent solution. That is more for data migration after an upgrade and other temporary use. You really need to use an enclosure or dock. The drive needs to be sitting stable where ever it is at. Not just sitting around loose on the desk.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

You can install some games on the external drive, but I won't recommend to do it since you may experience some problems with the OS due to the registry keys of the games. If you decide to do so, keep in mind that the game would take longer to load and it would be slower to load maps/levels compared to SATA since the USB 3.0 bandwidth is not as fast as the one of the internal SATA ports.

As for moving the Steam folder on the external, you can take a look at this Steam KB article where they do not recommend it as well because of potential performance issues you may experience:

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129

1 - 9 of 9 Posts